Sterling Dana 70 or dana 60?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCNuneZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys a little help so I picked up a ford dana 60 hp front axle for my soon to be SAS the guy also gave me a 1986 ford sterling rear axle and after getting it home I notice the spring perches are about 44" and my springs on my truck now are 46" (correct me if I'm wrong) on my 14 bolt semi float 6 lug. The guy also has a dana 60 so would it be better to get the dana 60 or cut the perches off the sterling and weld on some new ones at the correct width to my truck?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
It would be easier getting parts for the 60.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The sterling is a pretty strong axle. I would use it. If you get the dana 60 you may have to move the perches on that too. Especially depending on how much lift you are running.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a 10.25 sterling under my truck this winter.
Like said most likely the perches will have to be moved on the D60 as well and if I remember right the stock pad with is 47". The 60 is little to no stronger then the 9.5" you have now. The sterling will be the way to go. Parts aren't as plentiful as the 14ff but still around.

Being an 86 it will be a short pinion and if you want to go other then OEM gear ratio you will have to upgrade to the newer style (93+) longer pinion, which is no big deal just requires a new pinion yoke. Ford uses a 1330 u-joint but the cap size at the pinion yoke is bigger with a 1.125" cap and if you have a common S44/3R u-joint now the conversion joint will be neapco 2-3049. My local neapco dealer only showed 2 in all of Canada, had I known I had to swap yokes with the gears I would have opted for a 1350 yoke and a more common u-joint. The sterling also has around a 2" longer pinion length then the 14b sf so it may be possible you need to shorten your driveshaft depending on the amount of lift.

GMCNuneZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright guys your input has been awesome maybe I should give you a little more info. I'm going for 6-7 inches of lift and right now I'm running the 6 lug 14bolt sf rear

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With 6-7"of lift you should be ok with the sterling, it has about a 2" longer length to it compared to the 14b SF. But with that much lift it should pull your slip yoke out enough to make work. It is also about 4" narrower then the front D60, I bough a pair of 2" spacers and the track width is much better!