Steering sticking '91 K-1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am having an issue with my wheel getting stuck in the left position when I turn as far left as I can. I keep hearing people say they never heard of this issue so I am hoping some one here has more insight. All parts related to steering have been replaced with shiny new parts except for the Upper Steering Column and Steering Box. Also my power steering doesnt work most of the time. Without this issue being fixed, the only mechanic I know in philly that will inspect my truck won't pass it until it stops sticking.

I appreciate any help.

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You said you've replaced everything in the front end related to steering and if you've had someone under there watching for any binding while the steering wheel is being turned lock to lock and all is good with the replaced parts, then I'd start looking at the steering box itself.
There could possibly be an issue in it with a valve of some sort " never disassembled one". I would look at replacing the steering box and possibly the PS pump as well. If you've had any issues with a leaking pump and the fluid level got extremely low, it could have sent metal shavings to the steering box. Does the fluid look/smell burnt? If you replace them both, either flush out or replace the lines as well to ensure nothing bad is getting into the new pump/steering box. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is your a rack and pinion or steering box? Years ago I had a leak in my 99 Silverado rack and pinion and I foolishly added that Lucas stop leak. I knew it was temporarily, but figured it wouldn't hurt.

Well, a few days later I was making a left turn on a street and the steering locked to the left. I could not straighten the wheels! Luckily it was a small street and there was not traffic there. I fiddled with a bit and after shutting it off it worked again and went home and called my mechanic. As I was leaving same thing happened! It was damn scary!

He had to replace the rack and pinion, along with the PS pump. Don't really know how the PS hydraulics work, but I figured that honey-consistency stuff blocked or clogged something?

Maybe you got something stuck in your PS cooler, if you have one? Was everything flushed and bled?

Edit: just saw you are steering box. Maybe you got a bad one?

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen two steering boxes that would turn themselves all the way to lock. One was a fresh rebuild and I do not know the background of the other. I also heard of one that almost broke a guys arm when he reached through the steering wheel to start the truck after installation. None of these would wait until the wheel was almost to lock, but I sure wouldn't say it was out of the question. You could disconnect the steering linkage from the pitman arm to isolate the box and column. If your p/s is already intermittent then you have a pretty good case to argue the box is the culprit.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On second thought, jack up the front wheels and turn the steering to the point it locks at with the engine off to see if it sticks. If not, start the truck and do the same. The only difference there will be pressure in the power steering system which will show you whether it is the power assist in the box causing your problem.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had one here in our shop that with blowing on the steering wheel it would turn itself to full lock ON ITS OWN whichever way the wheel wanted to! Ended up being the steering box, didn't seem worn out. Something binding up most likely, if we didn't have a rag joint on the intermediate shaft I'd be looking at that, but the rag joint is either good or bad, don't get lumpy like a u joint does. Did u have the truck aligned? Apologize if I didn't see that u did, but probably something offset too much to one side and over extending the steering components and binding somewhere. I just recently took an axle shaft out of a Yukon that made it feel like the rf tire was gonna fall off, I suspected work steering components, but other than normal sloppiness of the idler /pitman there was nothing worn. Tried rotating the rf tire and it had about 1/4" movement and then bound rite up, total PITA to remove but once replaced was back to normal for the obs chevys.

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure I remember reading something about that when I rebuilt my steering box. I'd disconnect the intermediate shaft (shaft connecting the steering column to steering box) and double check that it's not something with the column but I'm almost positive I read that somewhere in the rebuild notes I was using.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seen rag joints do this. How much slack does the box have? They are notorious for having slack. I swapped in a 02 1500hd and a u joint instead of rag joint in my 96 and its way way better than stock