steering box question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not sure where to ask steering component questions but anywise. do i sound crazy or is my steering box the same on my 95 stepside as the one my 1981 CJ7????

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure where to ask steering component questions but anywise. do i sound crazy or is my steering box the same on my 95 stepside as the one my 1981 CJ7????

I thought I read somewhere that some of the jeeps used the same saginaw gearbox

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
okay sweet because i have an extra on for my CJ7 and i was wondering if i need to change the one on my truck. i have replaced basally everything in the front end when i put the lift in a while ago and cant get over why the steering wheel can go from 10:00 to 2:00 without moving the wheels. i changed both wheel bearings, both axles, inner and outer tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm and still have a sloppy steering. steering box is the only thing i haven't changed think thats the problem?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill put money on most of the slop is in the rag joint at the end of steering column right before steering box.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should be as long as its not rusted together. If ya want to upgrade you can use a jeep steering shaft with u joints instead of a rag joint. Nate has a thread in here about it.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How convenient my dads got a parts jeep grand cherokee. looks like ill be taking a ride over to his house in the morning!