start fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patt

Reaction score
This week end I have change the intake manifold gasket. I have inspect and replace all parts in place. All parts is good conditions and when I start the truck, He run like a new. Except at one time he run badly and has blakc smoke at the tail pipie so I have found that I have miss to plug the map sensor behind the TBI. I have plug it and he run fine. The real problem is that I can start my truck for 2-4 times with my key. But when I try another time, I turn my key and ntohing appen. Starter dosent do anything. Battery is fully charge and all electronic component seems to work fine. If I unplug and replug my battery, I can start up again until it fails after a couple start and stop. What is strange, when I cannot crank the engine by the key, I can do it with my remote start. It start and stop everytime.

I have also remark that the batterie gauge in the clauster doesbnt show a good voltage on the batterie. Ihave check my batterie with a voltmeter, and I have always 12V.

Is it a problem with the ignition starter? A bad ground because I had to unplug and replug two ground wire. Or something else?

I am not very sure, but I think my truck is equipped with a antitheft. I have found a little switch and a little red LED that flashes behind the dash.... I have tried to turn off and on that swithc but that doesent change anything to my starter problem.

Thanks guy!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight. That means using a battery brush to clean the inside of the terminals and the outside of the battery posts.

Check your engine to battery ground, your frame to battery ground, and your grounds under the dashboard.

If the remote start works every time, but the key switch is intermittent, I would suspect the ignition switch in the column.

Patt

Reaction score
Make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight. That means using a battery brush to clean the inside of the terminals and the outside of the battery posts.

Check your engine to battery ground, your frame to battery ground, and your grounds under the dashboard.

If the remote start works every time, but the key switch is intermittent, I would suspect the ignition switch in the column.
Can I run my truck this week end if the problem is the ignition switch? I will start my truck with the remote....can I broke something or break down on the road?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a decision for you to make. Are you absolutely sure it will always start with the remote?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the starter works reliably with the remote, the starter, battery, cables 'n' harnesses to the starter must be acceptably good.

That leaves the ignition switch and it's wiring; and the remote-control system as it's wired-into the vehicle harness.

I'd be looking for loose/corroded wire connections at the remote unit; and the ignition switch. If the switch is bad, I'd be wondering if the remote unit is responsible.

Ignition switches are said to be a common problem on Trailblazers, (GMT360/370) but I don't know that it's a common failure on GMT400s.