Squealing/crackling from speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I recently installed a new alpine head unit and Kenwood speakers into my 1990 1500, after wiring in the head unit and installing the speakers I tested the system and everything worked as it should, the next day I went to mount it and afterwords if I turn the volume up past twelve I get a horrible squeal and crackling sound from all four speakers, I pulled it back out and all my connections are tight, I have good steady voltage at the plug, any ideas on what could cause something like this would be greatly appreciated.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Check your grounds, clean up where they ground out inside the dash. Not sure where that is off hand but I know the factory amp grounds out using the three bolts which hold it in place to a good extent. Also, the factory speakers are just junk, so if they're still in there, that could be a contributing factor.

Reaction score
The speakers have been replaced, I ran a second ground for testing to clean peice of metal on the firewall and are squealing/crackling still persists

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
You gotta ground the amp section, where did this wire of yours go? The amp section seems to ground directly through the metal bar it mounts to under the dash. I had a bunch of radio noise when I swapped back to a factory radio, and that was the issue.

Reaction score
I have completely bypassed the factory amplifier since it was not necessary becuase the new headunit has a built in amp, I’ve tried multiple ground points on the truck with no change.