Speedometer drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
On a 92 1500 how is the speedo driven? Mne seems to be off when I line it up with my GPS (which I know is fairly acurate) and without getting it jacked up I'm not sure if it's mechanical or electronic. Come to think of it this may belong in transfer cases cuz it's 4X4 but thats just details lol

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
all 88+ are electric, it is driven by the vss in the tailshaft of the transfercase, 88-91 had the speedo signal calibrated in the cluster, 92+ had a drac unit behind the glovebox to convert the signal, tbi chips has a writeup on how to make the drac adjustable with some dip switches

Wildbill0088

haulin' the east coast
Reaction score
great so something electric. I hate electric. At first I assumed it was off cuz of the other wheels and tires that were on it but then I noticed it would be off then right then off followed by being right again depending on the mph.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
No vehicle's speedos is entirely accurate. Has something to do with 'Pi'. 22/7 & all that. Someone way smarter than me tried to explain it to me one time. Anyways...the manufacturers are aware, (as are the cops!) so they ere to the slow side on the speedo.
I'll bet ya that any vehicle you try your GPS in, they will all be just a bit s l o w e r, for the speedo against the GPS. This would all be on a vehicle that has not had a gear or tire size change. Stock trim. A 'safety' feature?
But there is also a few variables, too. Something as small as a couple of lbs. in tire pressure difference in one or all four tires, will change how your speedo reads. More air, taller tire, less rotations per mile. But better mileage.
As far as the cops go, (if that's what you're worried about) from the ones I've known, they have said that their tolerance is 90/10. If the speed limit is 60mph, & 90% of the traffic is doing 70-75ish, no-one's getting pulled over. Or, if the traffic is light, doing around the limit, anyone going 10%+ is getting lit up. Could be a quota thing too.
If it's not out too much, I wouldn't worry about it. I rely on my GPS.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Everything stock? Same tire sizes from maker to maker are not the same. But even still...+6mph? Wow!
Original gauge cluster? Tranny? T/case? I can't think of anything else.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I could see it as the stepper. The truck is a '92. & a 4X4. So how much dust & stuff has worked it's way in there in that time. Never know, maybe something as simple as blowing it out with a can of compressed air, or contact cleaner might work.
I've never had to mess with a VSS (fingers crossed!) so you could be right on that.