Speaker Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody302

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would definitely like to keep it as "stock looking" as possible and i haven't had the door panel apart yet. Would i just mount the speaker on the outside of the panel? Or can i mount it inside between the panel and window then get a grille for outside?

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You would have to go outside the panel. But there is metal under the door panel you will have to cut too

sent from your moms house

Marcos

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have pics from behind the door panel, but I did have to cut some metal even with this shallow mounts

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4x6 plates.
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-...cp_3_SSNM?ie=UTF8&refRID=1PYE4HT9C8SHPNKPPW8B
More $$$, but better sound. They'll handle 150w. Those ones listed above are only rated for 25w. Not any better than the stockers.
Even if you never intend on hitting those plate speakers with 150w, they're gonna sound better than those Kicker knock-offs.
Plus they're made outa better materials so they'll last longer sitting in the sun up on the dash.
And they're round. Like a speaker should be!

I have those in the rear (Well, actually the discontinued version) and standard Polk 4x6's in the front... Sounds awesome :headbang: You need a small powered sub under the seat or something though (I have a Kenwood) as no 4x6 speaker hits bass well at all.

Last edited:

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Of course the cheap, easy, and fast way for good sound (which I did in my last two trucks but not this one) is bookshelf speakers behind the seat (Check the resistance when you buy them though (Automotive is 4 IIRC and anymore than 8 you won't get much volume out of them). You'd never know they're even there and they can sound excellent depending on what you get, I used some older Sony's and you would swear the truck had an amp and sub in it.

Marcos

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Of course the cheap, easy, and fast way for good sound (which I did in my last two trucks but not this one) is bookshelf speakers behind the seat (Check the resistance when you buy them though (Automotive is 4 IIRC and anymore than 8 you won't get much volume out of them). You'd never know they're even there and they can sound excellent depending on what you get, I used some older Sony's and you would swear the truck had an amp and sub in it.

You're joking right?

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really hope he was trolling!

Well I guess you could do the legit thing and hack up the door... :lol: I wouldn't do it in the truck I have now but for a beater truck a speaker is still a speaker is not?

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Haha, I remember a guy from high school that drove an early 70s F100. He went rooting around at his grandparents place and found a set of home stereo speakers that were probably from the 70s as well. Realistic brand if I remember correctly. I hooked them up for him and left enough wire so he could pull them out and set them up on the tailgate.

Dude was more than happy with how it sounded, so that's all that mattered.

Sent from my Nintendo 64