Speaker tear apart and repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well, the freakin' truck leaked water in on my MB Quart 6.5 mid driver and ruined it. How I don't know because it is shielded from behind and the OEM paper unit never had this problem.

So with nothing to loose, I'm tearing it apart to see if it can be fixed.

First, I inspected the wiring and terminals. All looked good there.

Then, meter the terminals. Yup, open circuit. It's gotta come apart.

First, disconnect the terminals from the basket:

Then, I eased the poly cone foam surround off the basket:

I popped the center dust cap off:

but in retrospect I didn't need to. It does nothing except cover the center hole. Oh well, live and learn - except I already knew that and forgot it....

Then the spider support had to be eased off:

This is a biotch as this is the actual support for the cone and what holds the coil off the center post and centered. It's "glued" in good an solid and critical to proper function. This will be the "make or break" on reassembly. It was a long slow process removing it but I got it done without deforming the fabric ridges.

Then remove the cone:

As I was pulling the cone out, the problem became obvious as one of the leads fell off the cone:

What the?

Yup. The lead had broken off the cone coil. It had a patina of corrosion on it from the water contamination.

I meter the coil and it's still good. Continuity on the ends, nothing between the wraps. No burning (not a surprise, I don't drive my stuff too hard) and no scrapes or scratches from contacting the magnet assembly.

So that's the first installment. Next up: the repair, reassembly and see if it works as it did before.

:)

(pictures aren't uploaded yet, will be added shortly)

Last edited:

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Did you have speaker baffles in your door? I would imagine that if you got a set of those (plastic seems like it would keep out water better than foam), and used some RTV to seal it to the door, then you wouldn't have to worry about water any more.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
... How I don't know because it is shielded from behind and the OEM paper unit never had this problem...

Did you have speaker baffles in your door? I would imagine that if you got a set of those (plastic seems like it would keep out water better than foam), and used some RTV to seal it to the door, then you wouldn't have to worry about water any more.

:)

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've done an interior in a vehicle where the guy had used plastic flower pots for the baffles. Cheap! Decent gauge plastic.
They were designated 6", but they were actually just a bit bigger.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Yeah, wasn't sure what you meant by "shielded". That is weird. I don't have baffles, but my speakers are also for auto/marine use, so the water doesn't do anything. I'm going to get some soon, though.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well, that went to hell in a handbasket pretty quick!

lost the tear down photos, and I put it back together without taking picts.

Good news is the surgery was successful and I have my nice MBQuart speaker back.

Not bad for a little glue, solder and some of my time....:)