Speaker sizes and front door mounting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Since I haven't found a thread really for this I figured I'd start one.

Anybody know the actual size for the front door speakers in a 97? I believe it is a 6.5 Cone, but the PO of my truck had made a plywood spacer since the holes do not line up. Anybody have a link to a bracket to mount them up?

Rears are 4x6, correct? I put a 6x9 in mine with a spacer and bending the little lip back, but they fit nicely behind the plastic.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Correct the door speakers are 6.5.

In my 94' the rear speakers were 4x6's as you mentioned. I'm 90% sure they'd be the same as a 97' though.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
haha I LITERALLY just found that and came back here to post it up. Yes, it is exactly what I was looking for. It allows the speaker to mount right up to the stock holes. Just a better job than the hack bracket the PO made. Now to decide on some speakers.

tooslowtahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should there be a sticky for speaker size of all the makes and models at least for what is factory and location of each. Might help if someone just needs a quick reference.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
though those brackets do make it easy to install a good baffle made of sealed mdf or plywood is better. it will help the door and speaker from flexing as much. it is also a good idea to put some deadener around the speaker opening and directly behind the speaker if nothing else.

so what the po did was not exactly a bad idea he may have just did it wrong.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
I used self tappers on my '96. The speaker fit evenly on the metal surfaces so it didn't flex at all when I cinched it down. The tweeter, however, took a little more work to properly aim it.
I also crossed them over at 80 hertz so they don't get a whole lot of abuse. The 12" sub gets most of it.
The speakers I installed are Rockford Fosgate components.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
My doors are already matted with sound deadening material (not sure what brand, PO put in as well). But I was looking to see if there was a better way. He just had a ring cut and screwed it in. Basically a spacer so they would mount up.