sold the 95 and picked up a ford!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Coil Sprung version is best truck IFS out there, IMHO.

Yes, it truly is an extremely hardy and flexible IFS, the only thing I would add to your comment, is that it be the "kingpin" style spindle-to-axle attachment, versus the later ball joint. The ball joint style makes no sense to me, because they don't pivot atall, it's a very simple frontend, but they had to go and replace the more sturdy kingpin with the ball joints, which by the way, are a pain to replace because you have to remove both ball joints simultaneously. My 95 has those and I was tempted to get the kingpin conversion kit for it, but it's on it's last leg, so I just went ahead with cheapo ball joints.

Ps. I also agree that it fails in 1 aspect, the coil type is hella hard to keep on the road, especially with strong winds, the I-beam system makes the vehicle's front wheels turn more when you experience body roll and at high speeds it can feel like you're doing a serpentine maneuver. Gravel/dirt roads, it does just fine though. This is my experience with the twin I-beam. Atleast it's not as bad as the "stump-catching" single I-beam dodge used, haha.

Last edited:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Yes, it truly is an extremely hardy and flexible IFS, the only thing I would add to your comment, is that it be the "kingpin" style spindle-to-axle attachment, versus the later ball joint. The ball joint style makes no sense to me, because they don't pivot atall, it's a very simple frontend, but they had to go and replace the more sturdy kingpin with the ball joints, which by the way, are a pain to replace because you have to remove both ball joints simultaneously. My 95 has those and I was tempted to get the kingpin conversion kit for it, but it's on it's last leg, so I just went ahead with cheapo ball joints.

I agree

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I had 92 F150 with coiled I beams and it was a monster off road

Word, ive been very impressed with my '87 and my '96, both are full load trucks with the "Offroad Package" (Think Z71), which included quad front shocks, Front and rear sway bars, extra skid plates.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Word, ive been very impressed with my '87 and my '96, both are full load trucks with the "Offroad Package" (Think Z71), which included quad front shocks, Front and rear sway bars, extra skid plates.

That must be what I'm missing on my 95....no wonder a light wind(causing body roll) makes me change lanes. :yikes:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
That must be what I'm missing on my 95....no wonder a light wind(causing body roll) makes me change lanes. :yikes:

Yup, most full load trucks have them (My 87 is an XLT Lariat), my 1996 was an ex-forestry truck, so ZERO creature comforts, but ordered to 4x4. (Offroad package, posi, etc)

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sorry guys been out of computer access for a few. its a non turbo 7.3 idi (in-direct injection) non powerstroke. its not the best lookin or most powerful truck out there but has great lower end torque which is what i need. the tires in that pic were 35" super swamper tsl radials. so far im lovin the truck and its a beast off road even with the twin traction beam.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
sorry guys been out of computer access for a few. its a non turbo 7.3 idi (in-direct injection) non powerstroke. its not the best lookin or most powerful truck out there but has great lower end torque which is what i need. the tires in that pic were 35" super swamper tsl radials. so far im lovin the truck and its a beast off road even with the twin traction beam.

I think you mean ESPECIALLY with the twin trac beams. :D

That straight 7.3(what we call non-turbo) is really a torque monster, stump pulling power just off idle(considering it's in Lo).

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pulled my first trailer with it today. man it pulls good just blows some smoke :D. i need to turn the injection pump down a little untill i get a pyrometer. i dont wanna melt my pistons

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
I had a 93 long box with the in line 6. That thing could do anything I asked it to do. I can imagine the power you have!