so my trans. and t-case aint supposed to share fluid, but it does.....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had asked before if my t-case and trans share fluid and was told no, the t-case has it's own fill and drain but uses atf. Well my truck is an 88 k1500 and I put a th350 in it instead of a 700r4 and the original np241c t-case. I noticed after awhile or driving it and pulling the fill plug, I know it was the fill plug it was up top on the back side, and where I put the fluid in it, that when it came out fluid came pouring out. Well I was told to let it run out, then put the plug in and check trans level, well we drove it and now the trans is low again, I got about 2 quarts of fluid out of the t-case above full, and the trans is about that much low now.

Is there a seal or something that seals the trans from the t-case? I put the one in that seals the tailhousing to the t-case so it doesn't leak externally, but it seems to be leaking internally and overfilling the t-case. it doesn't overfill it to the point it dumps out the vent or anything, just if you pull the plug it'll pour out.

I mean did I miss a seal or not get one? maybe o-ring or something?

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Yeah, there are seals on the input shaft of the t-case and I believe an o-ring on the tranny. I'll have to look in the parts catalog tomorrow to know for sure though.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea had a guy on another forum send me a break down it was a seal for the t-case number 42 on his. but the trans could be one that's needed too. I gotta switch the transmission cases out anyways, so whenever I tackle it I'll handle the seal at the same time.