Sluggish at high rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chips98z71

Reaction score
Just got my 98 k1500 z71 and noticed that when I'm driving 60 mph and go to pass as it downshifts into 2nd the truck revs higher but has very little acceleration.
No noise from tranny shifts fine but only has problems at high rpm. Was in I95 last night and truck drove fine and shifted fine until I went to pass someone and it downshifted to 3rd and at high rpm slow acceleration so I backed off and it shifted to OD with no problems but at 87mph was still sluggish to keep up with my brother. And yes I know I was speeding but I also was seeing if it would be sluggish in OD and 3rd and not just 2nd. So any help would be appreciated.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
When you mean it revs higher, does the tach jump at all? Meaning does the engine seem to rev free, indicating slippage? If so, you may be needing a transmission.

If it just downshifts and fails to pick up rpm and speed ( meaning no slippage ), then I would suggest starting with a fuel filter, it may be way overdue for a replacement. The other items to check would be air filter, possibly a coil replacement or ignition module.

Also, a possibility could be a broken / plugged monolith in your catalytic convertor. Any rattling noises at idle from the convertor would be a tell tale sign of a broken monolith.

Last edited:

Chips98z71

Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking to try. The tranny shifts fine no jumping and the fuel filter looks like it needs replacing.

Chips98z71

Reaction score
Changed the fuel filter and the truck runs great. Thank god I don't need a transmission right now.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
That is great, now before it leaves you stranded check the cap and rotor as well as the air filter, since you recently bought the truck.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You bought a 16 year old truck and went 87 mph down the interstate.

Bright boy.