Skee's 97 K1500 Stepside build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
And since no body guessed yet, I'll go ahead and share what was in the box.

That whole box, FOR JUST THIS.

You must be registered for see images attach

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Yes. Yes it was. haha I knew what was being delivered, and I got to the PO and they pulled out that box. I was like WHAT THE HECK?! Cut it open, and the whole thing was stuffed with brown paper, and this down at the end in its SmittyBuilt box. haha Literally like 3.5ft of stuffed cardboard box.

Tiki

Reaction score
Good night. Glad to see your opting for a SFA. More money on good stuff, less money on spray painting non-sense!

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Picked up ~85% of the hardware needed for my SAS today for the low cost of 0$ and about an hours worth of work sorting nuts/bolts/washers.

Going to go to the hardware store tomorrow morning to get what is left, all Grade 8 brand new bolts.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
This is the list I am going off of downloaded from ORU's site.

Pretty little grocery list... And this is what I still need.

HP1 : x2 5/8" Lock Nuts, x4 1/2" Flat Washers

HP2 : x2 5/8"x7" Bolts, x4 5/8" Flat Washers, x2 5/8" Lock Nuts, x18 3/8"x1 1/4" Bolts, x5 3/8 Lock Nuts,

HP3 : x4 1/2" Flat Washers, x4 1/2" Lock Nuts

The rest I have or is still bolted on the kit.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Did a little more question asking, Googling, and head scratching to figure out my front shaft. And I just found a stock shaft that will work! Yay for not needing to spend $$$ on a custom shaft!

These are some great reads if you are bored or wanna know some more about axles, gears, and UJoints.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/summer2008/ujoints.htm

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Dana44.htm

But with using those, I found the shaft from an 1985 K5 Blazer will work perfectly for my application, as that is what Solid94 is running. It uses the same Flange at the Transfer Case, so that will bolt right up. And depending on the different styles of K5, it came with either a 1310 or 1350 UJoint on the other end.

The Ford F250's HP Dana 44 came with a 5-297x style U Joint, which converts to 1310. So either way, the stock shaft will work with either the stock UJoint, or a conversion like I will be running in the rear for the 14ff swap.

Picking up the front shaft this weekend for the cost of some Malt Beverages.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Ok, so I haven't researched to much on SAS's but I know that a Dana 44 out of a f150 has coils springs, I also know that it's a little narrower than the f250 axle. But can it be converted to leaf springs to be used in a gm SAS? Because I can get my hands on a few f150 Dana 44's. Do you know? Sorry to thread jack!

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
No problem! And on that link I posted has a lot of the answer! I think I was reading that the radius arms couldn't be ground off, or something like that?! Give that link a read through it should tell ya!

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
No problem! And on that link I posted has a lot of the answer! I think I was reading that the radius arms couldn't be ground off, or something like that?! Give that link a read through it should tell ya!

Haha I started reading that after I posted. :nono: so it looks like if
The axle is pre 77 it can be cut off. But I guess I'd have to weld on leaf spring perches.