Single Purple Wire in engine bay 1989 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the no spark issue check the IC module and connector. If your tranny shop let the engine fall back when they took the tranny out it could have cracked the IC module or knocked the wires loose or cut one of the wires.
Don't ask me how I know this!!!

johnsonmtz

Reaction score
On the no spark issue check the IC module and connector. If your tranny shop let the engine fall back when they took the tranny out it could have cracked the IC module or knocked the wires loose or cut one of the wires.
That's the route I'm thinking is the ICM was possibly damaged. I'd like to test it to confirm before just replacing, but I also know these are famous for taking a dive, so it could also have just been time for it to flake out. I installed a completely new distributor 3 years ago when I installed the reman engine, but it's possible the ICM crapped out.

johnsonmtz

Reaction score
ICM was the culprit. I installed a new one and the engine fired immediately. Prior to that I had zero spark. I didn’t see any evidence of pinched wires or impact against the firewall so maybe it’s just coincidence.

I did recently have an issue of the battery frequently draining. That was solved a couple weeks ago, but I’m wondering if those low voltage situations maybe shortened the life of the ICM.

justme

Reaction score
Circuit 430 is a purp/white for timing bypass (unplug to set) connector..... has anyone else used "charm.li" for service manuals??

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Circuit 430 is a purp/white for timing bypass (unplug to set) connector..... has anyone else used "charm.li" for service manuals??
Not around here, most of us use the Factory Service Manuals here...