Shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i have an automatic transmission with 4 gears on the dash and i was wondering is it bad for my transmission to use these manually?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i have an automatic transmission with 4 gears on the dash and i was wondering is it bad for my transmission to use these manually?

What transmission? 700R4? 4L80E?

As far as your question, it depends...Simply manually shifting using common sense is fine...backshifting into manual low at 80 mph is not.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4L60E i believe
What year vehicle?

If its' 93 or newer and a 1/2 ton truck you should have a 4L60E. If so, and if you want full manual control all the time install Transgo's Kit.

Friendly advice: always provide year, model vehicle, trans, or engine, tcase, etc) based on what you're asking so folks have an idea to how to best answer your question(s).

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's fine--even beneficial--in unusual circumstances, such as towing heavy loads, coasting downhill, etc.

Doing that all the time is just silly. Not especially harmful, although it's going to increase trans pressures which over time make life difficult for the pump and seals. GM designed the thing to be "automatic", let it do it's job.