Shift kit and how hard it will shift???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MilkeyJake

Reaction score
I have a 97 k1500 just had my transmission replaced asked them to put a transgo 4l60e HD2 shift kit put in an a corvette servo and it doesnt shift that hard at all I wanted ir to shift firm wanted to feel it anyone else got this same setup and how does urs shift

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a transgo and corvette servo. Definitely a difference. I did it myself and followed the instructions for a streetable shifting. I didn't drill out all of the holes on the separator plate to the big size, per instruction, and it still shifts pretty hard..........not crazy though, very firm and crisp. If you can't tell the difference they may not have installed it

MilkeyJake

Reaction score
Ok yeah it feels like ita just a normal tranny I had a 98 with a b&m shift kit and I felt that. But I really don't feel like there is that shift kit in there they might have done a shift correction kit but I told them I wanted the HD2 kit I don't think they installed the HD2 kit

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmm, to be fair I haven't installed Transgo kits in either of my trucks, (yet) but I have in other vehicles and I definitely noticed the difference in them. If it doesn't feel any different at all then I'm inclined to say your shop may not have installed the kit. I have had my truck tuned, and I must say that made a HUGE difference. I deleted 100% of the torque management and requested it be firmed up, and I've heard it chirp the tires into second a few times since then. (With the V6!)

nailhead

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your tranny should be very noticeable. I put a tci shift kit and a corvette servo in my 91 gmc with the 700r4 and it shifts pretty firm. It will bark the tires on the 1-2 shift. I only did the street and towing version to. My guess is they didn't put the kit in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92BlkK1500

Reaction score
my brother had a trans built by a trans shop here in town and we'll never use them again they where piss poor at best. As to your situation its not a secret that some shops will tell you one thing and do another there probably is no shift kit in your trans. I've known (and worked) in a trans shop where they wouldn't do anything you asked them to (the main reason i quit) they try to make the most money with the least work. when i have my next trans rebuilt/built i already know 2 people to talk to, the main thing is personal references talk to people about the shops, the people who actually know the shops. Ronny is one of the 2 I've known of him and his father forever, his father had magic hands when it came to transmissions.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
My last dealing with a trans shop was a rebuild on a 700r4 in a 87 Vette I had. It failed after about 18 months and 9k miles of mild driving. I carried it back to the shop and an aluminum drum had broken and taken out the tranny. No fears, the shop rebuilt the tranny again, upgraded the aluminum part to steel, and charged me the full price...again. I went ballistic. The "warranty" was one year or 10k miles. Yes, the warranty's time was up, but a part failed that he should have replaced with the upgraded part the first time and the mileage was under. He refused to help me any at all with the bill. This was supposedly the best shop in town.

Since that, if at all possible, I'll do my own work. It may take a while, but it isn't rocket science.

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I had such a bad experience with a local shop, then Monster transmission, I started building my own... A Transgo HD2 combined with a Corvette serov should be borderline violent

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many miles are on it? The most common reason after a shift kit is installed and you have soft shifts is band clearance. It may be too tight. Soometimes it takes a hundred miles or so to wear in to the correct clearance if they didn't get it set correct. Take it back to them. Let them drive it around with you and explain how you want it to shift. With a shift kit, you should feel a tight firm shift. I would offer to them that you are willing to pay a little extra and get a Superior 2/4 servo. That alone will shift better than most shift kits.

jlcms2007

Reaction score
My last dealing with a trans shop was a rebuild on a 700r4 in a 87 Vette I had. It failed after about 18 months and 9k miles of mild driving. I carried it back to the shop and an aluminum drum had broken and taken out the tranny. No fears, the shop rebuilt the tranny again, upgraded the aluminum part to steel, and charged me the full price...again. I went ballistic. The "warranty" was one year or 10k miles. Yes, the warranty's time was up, but a part failed that he should have replaced with the upgraded part the first time and the mileage was under. He refused to help me any at all with the bill. This was supposedly the best shop in town.

Since that, if at all possible, I'll do my own work. It may take a while, but it isn't rocket science.

None of my business but since you brought it up ... a rebuild kit usually doesn't come with updated drums if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's why I've always recommended to folks that if you care and are committed buy a g.m. factory reman costs a little more but you don't have to worry about parts not being updated. I'm not a shop owner but I've been around long enough to know how not to make money replacing stuff that ain't broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillGen55