SAS with long tube headers? Anyone?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Found a set of long tube headers for my truck for a killer deal. Anyone out there with SAS running long tubes? I will be running 48" lift springs up front with the ORU kit. Wasn't sure if there will be clearance issues with them or not?

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i've wondered the same thing. I'm guessing it would be very difficult if even possible, especially for my truck.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Yeah sorry I didn't update this. Long tubes are going to be hard if you buy off the shelf ones. I have pictures if you'd like to see the clearance issues. I just bought some shorties.

willdabeast69

Mudd Slutt
Reaction score
Yeah sorry I didn't update this. Long tubes are going to be hard if you buy off the shelf ones. I have pictures if you'd like to see the clearance issues. I just bought some shorties.

hey mike i've been lookin this a lot recently and found out that ord rear hangers wont work with long tubes. but oru rear brackets will

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Return the shorties if you can. You can clear long tubes, you just need custom rear brackets. My truck SAS'ed and I will be installing LTs. Can you fab? Do you have access to anyone who can fab?

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
I do but I already have the kit and that is what I am using. The only reason I was going to run long tubes is because I could get them cheap, but they needed recoated as well. Not a huge deal! Just wanted a change from the stock manifolds.

willdabeast69

Mudd Slutt
Reaction score
Return the shorties if you can. You can clear long tubes, you just need custom rear brackets. My truck SAS'ed and I will be installing LTs. Can you fab? Do you have access to anyone who can fab?

got pics of them?

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't have a picture, but will be fabricating mine shortly. For my truck, I have to set the bottom of the shackle hanger to be flush with the bottom of the chassis as the header collector will be right above it.

Since the Z71 chassis is taller than the 2wd chassis, the hanger will not need to be flush with the bottom, however it will need to be at a point lower than what you can buy.

willdabeast69

Mudd Slutt
Reaction score
with that being said it also depends on your spring pad width as well. bc isnt the frame width roughly 39" and spw can vary from 31.5-36.5 so the hanger wont be under the frame rails it would have to be offset to the center. but i watched the episode of xtreme 4x4 when they sas'd a blazer and they put a hole in the frame for a shackle to hang.
http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes/XT2011-03/full-size-blazer-part-one