RPM and Speedo both read 0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Having intermittent issues with the speedo and rpm gauges dropping to 0. Truck is the 97 in my signature. 97 z71 with 4L60e.
When it first happened, the gear indicator light was flashing like no tomorrow. Sometimes it works all day, sometimes it doesn't work at all.
I swapped it for the VSS I had in my previous truck, it only had a speedometer though, part #s were the same though..
Speedo and rpm still not working.
When it goes out, tranny goes in limp mode, I have 2nd gear and can manually shift to 3 but that's it.
Any input appreciated

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Gauge cluster acting strange, seatbelt lights on, flashing indicator lights, check Gage's light dins then brightens up...
Possible bad cluster? Pulled it out of the dash last night, the circuit board paper? (Whatever it's called) is wavy and pushed up in spots. Could this be my issue? I can smack the dash above cluster and speed/rpm jump up for a sec then back to 0.

Thanks

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Anything?... I've gone over all the connections at the trans and tcase, checked all the computer connections.. Swapped VSS's...
Put a 95 cluster in and had no change. Still nothing..
Will a 95 cluster even work for a 97?
I'm lost

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Well after countless hours of looking over the truck and searching the internet, I came across someone with identical symptoms that had posted on another forum searching for help. This lead me to the ignition switch. Once I had the column covers off i gave the ignition switch a couple light taps with the end of a screwdriver and voila, everything came back to life. Ordering a new ignition switch today.