Reverse Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
My reverse lights are not working, Any body have a good schematic? i cant seem to find one.

Edit: Im pretty sure its not the ground. I've removed and checked the one big ground connector back there and its clean.

Thanks Hunter

Last edited:

mduryea88

Reaction score
automatic or 5 speed. i have the 5 speed and the problem i have is that the switch and lights are good, but the transmission doesn't push on the switch when in reverse.( worn down i guess)

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Make sure the shifter is seated in the reverse "groove", and hold the brake pedal down and wiggle the shifter, while its in reverse and truck on, preferably against a wall. If you see them light up, the reverse light switch in the column might have gone bad. I'd also check all the fuses to be sure. Source: you have to have the shifter all the way up in reverse for the lights to come on in my truck.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Make sure the shifter is seated in the reverse "groove", and hold the brake pedal down and wiggle the shifter, while its in reverse and truck on, preferably against a wall. If you see them light up, the reverse light switch in the column might have gone bad. I'd also check all the fuses to be sure. Source: you have to have the shifter all the way up in reverse for the lights to come on in my truck.

To my knowledge (though not sure because I can't find a good schematic) the 88-94 have the reverse light switch on the column and the 95+ are built in to the neutral safety switch. I see 2 light green wires on the nss. I haven't tested them yet, I'll do that tomorrow but I am not getting power to the green wire at the rear harness.

dixiepc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The earlier ones are in the neutral safety switch also. I have a 92' and that's where mine is at.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
My bad, I forgot it was a '97. I think the NSS is in a different spot than the column. Haha. If you're not getting any output from the reverse wire, replace the switch?