Research is showing me lowering a 4x4 just causes problems. Is this what you guys find to be true?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tlee94sbc350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I keep coming up with people questioning me lowering my k1500. Input from guys that have done it would be awesome

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not hating or anything, but I'm genuinely curious. Why are you guys lowering four wheel peels??

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Set of drop torsion keys and hangers should see you down to about 2/4 to 3/4, I'm unsure of the fitment with C-notch/flip kit on a 4wd but can't imagine there's any differences. Any time you adjust the suspension on a vehicle, you're going to get some positive and negative reactions. Best bet would be to hit up Belltech, DJM, McGaughys, etc. for advice on this. When in doubt, go directly to the manufacturer and tell them where you want to sit with the truck and if it's possible. If not, I'm almost 100 percent sure you can find someone who's willing to straight trade your K1500 for a C1500, maybe get a little cash out of the deal as well.

I'm not hating or anything, but I'm genuinely curious. Why are you guys lowering four wheel peels??

I have a 1994 GMC Jimmy SLE sitting up in a backyard in Oklahoma and I heavily contemplated lowering it. But that was because:

A. Corvette/Camaro wheels fit perfectly on 4wd S10s/Blazers whereas 2wd requires a dangerous amount of spacer/adapter.
B. The 4wd could be converted to AWD using the Astro transfer case and axles (Google it, it's gnarly).
C. The engine is blown in it and having an AWD V8 would just be sinister to drive around town.
D. Have you seen/experienced how crazy AWD launches are? Imagine that with the torque of a V8. :D

Some people just don't get much use out of a 4wd, and I get that. They want the look but they also want to retain the 4wd because you never know when you'll need it. Personally, I wouldn't lower a 4wd vehicle unless I knew I was going to do some AWD stuff to it like the Jimmy, but as long as OP is safe about it and does their research it should be a safe and fun endeavor. Plus you can always reverse it in case you decide to go the other direction with the truck like I'm doing to mine.

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Set of drop torsion keys and hangers should see you down to about 2/4 to 3/4, I'm unsure of the fitment with C-notch/flip kit on a 4wd but can't imagine there's any differences. Any time you adjust the suspension on a vehicle, you're going to get some positive and negative reactions. Best bet would be to hit up Belltech, DJM, McGaughys, etc. for advice on this. When in doubt, go directly to the manufacturer and tell them where you want to sit with the truck and if it's possible. If not, I'm almost 100 percent sure you can find someone who's willing to straight trade your K1500 for a C1500, maybe get a little cash out of the deal as well.

I have a 1994 GMC Jimmy SLE sitting up in a backyard in Oklahoma and I heavily contemplated lowering it. But that was because:

A. Corvette/Camaro wheels fit perfectly on 4wd S10s/Blazers whereas 2wd requires a dangerous amount of spacer/adapter.
B. The 4wd could be converted to AWD using the Astro transfer case and axles (Google it, it's gnarly).
C. The engine is blown in it and having an AWD V8 would just be sinister to drive around town.
D. Have you seen/experienced how crazy AWD launches are? Imagine that with the torque of a V8. :D

Some people just don't get much use out of a 4wd, and I get that. They want the look but they also want to retain the 4wd because you never know when you'll need it. Personally, I wouldn't lower a 4wd vehicle unless I knew I was going to do some AWD stuff to it like the Jimmy, but as long as OP is safe about it and does their research it should be a safe and fun endeavor. Plus you can always reverse it in case you decide to go the other direction with the truck like I'm doing to mine.
I see what ya mean. What part of Oklahoma are you in??

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I see what ya mean. What part of Oklahoma are you in??

I'm actually in Texas but I got a place out in Oklahoma that I normally go to decompress. Kind of like a vacation home I guess you could call it. The truck stays out there since I got a certified letter from the city I lived in that it needed to be off my property (disassembled vehicles law, but the guy with a '69 Firebird that isn't put together and hasn't moved in 20+ years gets away with it). Eventually when I get around to having a place to work on it, it'll come back to stay with me locally. A buddy of mine is inheriting a 2 bay shop from his cousin who's leaving the country, and I've been discussing the idea of renting a bay out come the first of next year. We'll see if that ever comes to fruition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf