Repair Manuals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just now checked my books. I have the service manual, unit repair manual, service manual supplement, fuel & emissions supplement, electrical supplement. They are dated 86' and 87'. There are newer ones for it? The guides I have used have been correct. Then again I never had to take the dash apart!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the service manual, unit repair manual, service manual supplement, fuel & emissions supplement, electrical supplement. They are dated 86' and 87'.
Always look in the Suppliment; what you find there "should" be correct. If it's not in the Suppliment, then the procedure in the regular manual should be OK.

Usually. :)

There are newer ones for it?
I don't know. The '88 model year began early, so the manuals came out early. I always "assumed" that later editions corrected the problems, but maybe the Suppliment was all that '88 got, and they waited for the '89 manual to fix the incorrect procedures.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always look in the Suppliment; what you find there "should" be correct. If it's not in the Suppliment, then the procedure in the regular manual should be OK.

Usually. :)

I don't know. The '88 model year began early, so the manuals came out early. I always "assumed" that later editions corrected the problems, but maybe the Suppliment was all that '88 got, and they waited for the '89 manual to fix the incorrect procedures.

Alright, thanks for info!

ChrsLytn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another vote for factory service manuals here. What year is your truck? If it's a pre-'95 then you can download the factory service manual free from this thread thanks to @hatzie.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95-service-manuals.43575/

Post '95 are available on eBay or possibly from Helm Inc. new for around the same price,
I bought the set of four '98 C/K factory service manuals-second edition. $155.00 be here middle of next week. I'm hoping they're updated and mistakes corrected (for the most part) or is that not necessarily true? Was the second edition needed for supply and demand? Do you happen to know if the second edition is better than the first? I'm just wondering if I did good or not. They're easily worth about 40.00 each I would think. Beat the **** out of having to print 27 pages or whatever when you work on something. Thanks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought the set of four '98 C/K factory service manuals-second edition. $155.00 be here middle of next week. I'm hoping they're updated and mistakes corrected (for the most part) or is that not necessarily true? Was the second edition needed for supply and demand? Do you happen to know if the second edition is better than the first? I'm just wondering if I did good or not. They're easily worth about 40.00 each I would think. Beat the **** out of having to print 27 pages or whatever when you work on something. Thanks

Sounds like a decent price to me. I think I've got around the same amount invested in my '97 manuals. Not sure about first vs second edition for '98 though, I had no idea there was a second edition.