Removing posi-trac axle shafts (need help fast)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Hey,
Doing the axle shaft bearings on my 96 K1500 with the posi-trac 10-bolt rear end, when removing the axle shafts is it just the same as doing it on an open rear (which I have done before)? Or is there something horrible that will happen to me if I do it the way I think I should: remove bolt and drop that pin through the carrier, push shafts in and remove the c-clips, then pull shafts out.
There's a bunch of s*** in there I don't want to f*** with, maybe it's the same as an open carrier I don't know. Normally I'd just have at 'er and figure it out, but I've got a bad feeling about this one for some reason.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Removing the axles from a rear-end with a posi, is the same as an open diff. You DO NOT have to remove the center pin inside the carrier to get the axles out. Once you have the diff opened up, just push the axles in, & remove the 'C' clips with a magnet or your fingers if your hands are small enough. Probably has the orig. 'C' clips. They get worn, so add them to your parts list.

gmcierra

Reaction score
You will need to take the center pin out. Its what keeps the axles from moving in and in turn keeps the c clips in their groove.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys, I've done the process several times on open diffs but never touched a posi, just looked different and I wanted to be sure. Anyways I got 'er done, put the new bearings in (had to buy a slide hammer, my home built puller wasn't working). All's good, glad you guys are here to help.
Thanks again

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yea, but I had a bit of a brain fart. Don't know what I was thinking. gmcierra was right about that center pin. It does have to come out! So slap me upside the head and call me Susan! DOH!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, but I had a bit of a brain fart. Don't know what I was thinking. gmcierra was right about that center pin. It does have to come out! So slap me upside the head and call me Susan! DOH!

:slap: ok Susan....