Rear main oil seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benualson

Reaction score
According to a couple shops, my rear main oil seal should be replaced. It isn't too bad of a leak, just something that should be done when possible. I am thinking I'll get it done on my next oil change.

From what I have researched, it is a one/piece seal & requires removing the tranny. Both shops quoted me $600. A mechanic off Craigslist quoted me $400. Sound like reasonable quotes?

I just spent $2500 getting front end replaced and intake gaskets replaced, and full tune up. So, I would like to wait a couple months to do any more costly repairs.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
You can wait on that repair as long as it's not gushing oil (it by no means shouldn't be gushing oil anyways)

It does require a tranny pulled and that's why I've waited on fixing the rear main seal on mine (I suspect my truck has a rear main seal leak as well.. my truck also has a little leak on the driver's side valve covers, which is fairly common on the vortec 350's)

Anyways you can wait on the repair if you need to but the quotes seem reasonable. Personally I wouldn't go with the Craigslist mechanic even though it's cheaper. Usually a shop will warranty any of their work and who knows about the CL mechanic. 600 seems on the high end but by no means outrageous and I don't think that they would be stealing your money at that price (personally). That's just me though and that's just my 2 cents.

And the reason the quote is relatively high is because the transmission needs to be pulled.

EDIT: Just thinking about it a little more there are additives you could try to use and I wanted to clarify that I don't recommend just letting the leak go forever, that could be dangerous

Last edited:

benualson

Reaction score
Can I get a link to a transmission filter kit for a 1998 Silverado K1500 5.7?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
you can remove the inspection cover and see if the rear main seal is bad...

benualson

Reaction score
How do I know if I have the 4L60E or 4L80E?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
and if you wanted to e sure, check your rpo codes.