Rear End Hummmm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
So i replaced my rearend yesterday with one out of another truck, I was told it had a lock right in it but i'm pretty sure its factory.. it looks like it was rebuilt anyways (hand etched numbers on the ring gear) anyways It hums pretty bad. i know a little bit isnt anything to worry about but I took off the cover to see and after and it was pretty grey already and the ring gear had some bad looking wear marks, up on the outside edge and they formed a little bur on each gear.

I'm wondering if its ok to keep driving and the gears will wear a pattern and be ok or if I need new gears already. and I have no idea how to adjust the gears..

its a 10 bolt rearend.

Joesgarage

Wrench
Reaction score
Lets see a pic of the gears.
sounds like you got ripped, bought a worn out rear diff

You get some books and study up, anyone with half a brain can replace gears and Do it Right !

Last edited:

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I'll get a pic after work.. dono why i didnt before
The gears looked in good shape before i installed them.. they had been sitting without oil in the case for a few months outside and there was minor surface rust on one part of the ring gear, but no burs, and now i have burs after not even an hour of driving.
Is it possible that the yolk(?) could have gotten bumped good and the pinion gear is off now? It did get kicked around on the shop floor for 6 months before i installed it.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't help with the humm or setup but here is a picture of a loc-rite installed in my 14 bolt, yours should.look the same

You must be registered for see images attach

[IMG

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
well mines definately not a lock right then.. Damn, At least it was only 100$. Can anyone tell me wht kind of damage i will do if i keep driving it like this?

Last edited:

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Wasnt able to get any pics. can anyone tell me if it is ok to drive it like this?

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
So I'm going to put my old rearend back in, Since i have it.. just need to put brake lines back on it since they got in the way when i cut the bolts. Then i'll Study up, buy some tools, and rebuild my own rearend, either a mech locker or and elocker.. cause i love the idea of an e locker.. OR should i try and find a 14 bolt to work with?

I found this and i think i may jump on it.http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-v...n-14-bolt-4x4-posi-rearend-W0QQAdIdZ306376381

Update: Guy says the rearend is in good shape (like that means anything) and has posi with clutch plates and everything not a locker. so i'm really leaning twards this since there was no original posi on these so it must have been overhauled (at one point in its life)

Last edited: