Really stuck on these lean codes!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C1500stepside

Reaction score
Hey everyone thanks in advance for reading this and for any help/advice. Dont post regularly because I tend to find the information i need on this great site. But im really stuck now and i havent been able to find any solutions on my truck so heres what's going on:
For a while now, since i replaced my intake gaskets last summer i have been chasing lean codes. Few weeks ago after about an hour of non stop driving my truck would intermittently lose power while pressing down on the pedal and would feel like it was getting no gas so i pulled over and would have to wait till i was able to drive it home. Next day i hooked the fuel pressure gauges up and found the pressure to be at 48lbs! But it would hold the pressure after the key was off for a while so i ruled a leak in the intake out. Any way, Not good. So after some researching, i concluded that fuel pump was probably starting to give so i bought a new, delphi one. Only it didnt "fix" it. Fuel pressure only bumped up to 52psi and lean codes persist and as of tonight i have "cat. converter bank 2 below threshhold" code as well! Could this be my injectors are bad? Or an exhausr leak? Is there anyway of testing them other than visually looking at them? There is also a persistent ticking noise when motor is running, im not sure what it is and oil pressure gauge drops extremely low when warm. I didnt do the mpfi upgrade when i did the gaskets because i didnt have the money. I dont just wanna start throwing parts at it. But ovee the last 8 months this is what i have done
fuel pump
fuel filter
doughnut gasket
brake booster
map sensor replace
Any thoughts or help, guys and girls and could be causing this and possible solution?

C1500stepside

Reaction score
Although no response...
i took off the upper plenum to replace the regulator only to notice that the o ring around the spider pod was stretched out. So i bought a new gasket kit and all is well so far. So for future reference for anyone who may encounter similar problems, check gaskets. You just may never know

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
do you get both po171 and p0174? i'm assuming you've checked, but do you have any rips in your intake boot after the MAF?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Sorry I missed this thread. Glad it seems to be fixed. Just a quick note, That Convertor code can be caused by running lean for a long time. Clear it and drive it hard for a week. That way the cat can build up and start working again.

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Ya, no response...
A fella can only read so many of these threads before his brain short-circuits. They're all the same. Engine misfires, lean codes, leaking coolant , how many parts user has thrown at their truck.
Then there are the "what should I do to " upgrade" my vortex?
And the "how many hpeez do I get for black wheels and a LED bar with blue fogs?'
Then the very next thread will be a rave about how fantastic an "LS" motor is. Oh btw how good is it to run 20-50 ?
Will this tire fit or hit? How much offset can I has?
Do you know what's wrong with my truck? I've thrown x amount of parts and money at it blindly and it's STILL not right! Pluz help!
Vortex rulz !
Which halos do you like better?

I'm in it for the lulz, it's a novelty.

Last edited: