Random Loss of Spark - Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josh Reed

Reaction score
What is the fuel pressure when driving?

Does the fuel pump prime when the key is turned from "Off" to "Run"?

As usual, connect a scan tool and look at the data stream. Issues with the crank sensor, for example, could lead to loss of ignition and fuel injector operation.
I don't have visibility to the Fuel Pressure while driving unfortunately.

The Fuel Pump does cycle when turning key from "Off" to "Run". I have a basic scan tool that I believe has the capability you are referring to, but I've never tried using it. Guess it's time to learn! :)

Thanks for the reply!

Josh Reed

Reaction score
Try a new fuel pump relay, clean up the ground at the fuel pump wire to chassis. Check the oil pressure sending unit for oil intrusion. The Oil P sender holds the fuel pump hot once the engine is running so in case of rollover the pump is off.

Fuel Pump relay is a cheap fix for sure, so that's a good one to check off the list. I order a new Ignition Control Module as well. I will follow up on the other items as well. Thanks for the reply!

Busted Knuckle

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Josh Reed

Reaction score

As usual, connect a scan tool and look at the data stream. Issues with the crank sensor, for example, could lead to loss of ignition and fuel injector operation.

The Fuel Pump does cycle when turning key from "Off" to "Run". I have a basic scan tool that I believe has the capability you are referring to, but I've never tried using it. Guess it's time to learn! :)

Thanks for the reply!

Been awhile but I'm back with a new issue.... I tried a new ICM and then it wouldn't start at all (crank but not start), so I put the old one back on and tried again. Still no start! After awhile, I realized that I wasn't hearing the fuel pump kicking on and that is where I left it for a few months. Fast forward to today, I installed a new fuel tank, new fuel pump and tried starting it....fuel pump STILL wasn't kicking in. I am at a loss now....please help!

I ran a new fuel pump ground to the frame (ground it down to bare metal and installed wire). Check every fuse and they are all good. Replaced fuel pump relay (I actually replaced it prior to buying new pump and tank).

Josh Reed

Reaction score

Thanks for the reply!

Been awhile but I'm back with a new issue.... I tried a new ICM and then it wouldn't start at all (crank but not start), so I put the old one back on and tried again. Still no start! After awhile, I realized that I wasn't hearing the fuel pump kicking on and that is where I left it for a few months. Fast forward to today, I installed a new fuel tank, new fuel pump and tried starting it....fuel pump STILL wasn't kicking in. I am at a loss now....please help!

I ran a new fuel pump ground to the frame (ground it down to bare metal and installed wire). Check every fuse and they are all good. Replaced fuel pump relay (I actually replaced it prior to buying new pump and tank).