Quick tranny swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys I got a quick question to ask before I go spend my money. I have a 98 K1500 5.7vortec/4L60e and my tranny is shot. I found a guy with same tranny out of a 97 Sierra 1500. I'm wanting to know if the 97 tranny will work in my 98? I'm pretty sure it will but when you look at parts sometimes the say 99 and up and sometimes the say 98 and up so I just want to make sure before I pick it up.

BURBAN GUY

Redneck Rolls
Reaction score
I have been this route, be careful. Make sure the bellhousing is a bolt on and not made on to the trans. that is the easiest way to tell. They did a update in 98 and the electronics changed. Hope this helps.

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trans in my 98 is a solid housing. The bellhousing doesnt bolt on. I'm getting a whole 97 Sierra Z71 for a parts truck for $500 so I hope it works.

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so turns out i was wrong. The tranny in my 98 is a two piece with the bolt on bellhousing. Im still getting the 97 tranny this sunday so what do i have to do to make it work in my 98? Are they the same length i wonder? What exactly is different from the 98 two the 97 because i gotta make it work.

BURBAN GUY

Redneck Rolls
Reaction score
The bellhousings are completely different. The electronic plugs are different. I have consulted a transmission shop in the past about this. They said they couldn't adapt one to the other so idk.

BURBAN GUY

Redneck Rolls
Reaction score
Have fun with that. That's alot of work. I would part out the 97 and buy the correct trans for the 98 IMO.

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need the truck running and driving by new years eve. So swapping the harness will work right? Its really not that hard to pull the harness of and swap it over. As long as that will work I think thats what I'll do.