Questions on rebuilding my 95 4l60e...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKS4

Reaction score
Hello all, First time posting after doing some reading and searching.

So my wife has a 95 Chevy 2500 4x4 ("Heavy half" apparently) with the 5.7 and 4l60e transmission. A couple weeks ago we were playing on the Ice Race track and the transmission started smelling hot so we shut it down and drove home. On the way home the truck wouldn't get over maybe 30, then eventually was stuck at doing 10-15mph, being stuck in one gear and making a loud rattling/scraping noise, even when revving in neutral/park. We had reverse and 1st though (or at least a forward gear). So I had it towed home to prevent further damage.

Talking with a repair shop on my symptoms, all being diagnosed over the phone, the speculated it could either be the bands becoming too loose/damaged, or possibly even the torque converter is gone/going.

A friend of mine had a 98 Chevy with a 4l60e that quit engaging one morning. No gears were able to be selected. After digging into it he found there to be no fluid movement, so assumed the front pump needed to be replaced. He did state there seemd to be some upgraded bits inside of the transmission however. He let me have the transmission for $40. Unfortunately after purchasing it from him I came across the helpful "differences in 4l60e" thread, and found our 95 4l60e is "special" and my friends 98 would not be a direct bolt up. I believe the bell housing lines up, but the later transmission has a 6-bolt rear vs my 95 with the 4-bolt.

SOooo, the question I have, with knowldege that some of the 98 is upgraded, can I simply swap internals, save for the pump and input shafts? What is recommended rebuild kit these days to get? The rebuild kits I found linked from 2012 are NLA.

Any helpful information, how to's or what have you's is appreciated.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
There is a ton of info out there about rebuilding these transmissions, I would start googling everything you have questions about and what upgrades you can do to these to make it a tougher trans. Then figure out your budget and go from there.

If you have the ability to rebuild it yourself you can save a ton of money and put more into upgrades. Its not that difficult, just have patience and take pictures before you rip something out so you know where it goes when your putting it back together.