Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nope, sounds like a torque converter, worn trans, or maybe just some highway gears, that's why I don't like overdrive, around here the hills are steep and cause it to bog or load the motor and cost you mpg's and crap. it's probably locking and unlocking on him, or if it is slipping then it might be the converter clutch burnt up or gone, maybe the trans itself.

Honestly though od is for flat land highway driving, around town and hills should be in drive only.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
nope, sounds like a torque converter, worn trans, or maybe just some highway gears, that's why I don't like overdrive, around here the hills are steep and cause it to bog or load the motor and cost you mpg's and crap. it's probably locking and unlocking on him, or if it is slipping then it might be the converter clutch burnt up or gone, maybe the trans itself.

Honestly though od is for flat land highway driving, around town and hills should be in drive only.
I am the same way in town and in any hill's I drop in to Drive gear, I don't like the up and down shifting.

Bertiespeed

||*||CDNP 4 life
Reaction score

Ok Yeah kinda figured as much its was a 2 owner truck and the last was an 68 year old It still has original upper ball joints lol and truck has 310k .Its been well cared for (all service records since 96 all from gm) but 310,000km most likely all original and babied and josh (my buddy) has a heavy foot so somthings gunna break .... according to the RPO its 3.42 rear . Most his driving is in town . And the old guy that had it before ,thats all the truck was used on was highway driving .I mean he got the truck for 150$ because the old guy thought the engine was shot because of the slight knock yet still purrs like new ! Not a single leak and passed emissions cleaner than my rebuilt engine lol

Last edited:

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok Yeah kinda figured as much its was a 2 owner truck and the last was an 68 year old It still has original upper ball joints lol and truck has 310k .Its been well cared for (all service records since 96 all from gm) but 310,000km most likely all original and babied and josh (my buddy) has a heavy foot so somthings gunna break .... according to the RPO its 3.42 rear . Most his driving is in town . And the old guy that had it before ,thats all the truck was used on was highway driving .I mean he got the truck for 150$ because the old guy thought the engine was shot because of the slight knock yet still purrs like new ! Not a single leak and passed emissions better than my rebuilt engine lol

I need to find a deal like that!!

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it's well worth saving. I paid $600 for my 88 k1500 and it smoked and missed bad, and the trans acted up. I put in a brand new trans that we had built and I rebuilt the motor. Well worth the cash.

Bertiespeed

||*||CDNP 4 life
Reaction score
Heres a video of his truck and the knocking sound im talkin about with the dust cover off can oly be heard from flex plate back . Checked bolts were all tight and no play and dident see any cracks but there is a slight wobble to the setup there so i dunno . Not best video but see what you guys think

Sorry dont know how to embed this video

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well buddy if you can get to the bolts that hold it on the block, remove it and buy ya a new one. the last 2 piece rms flexplate I bought only cost about $12 or so. 1 piece might be more not sure.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
A van my mom had did a similar thing. Me and my dad went to put a new motor in and found the flexplate was broke all the way around where it bolts to the output shaft. It ran fine and had good power but once it hit a hill, could have made better progress climbing it in neutral.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I ALWAYS see ppl talk trash on fram, well you know what??? I ran em for years, NEVER had a problem. I've had engines apart that we built and looked at them after using the frame filters, no dirt, no damage, no gummed up or gel filters nothing. Now I use the cheapest I can get usually a super tech or store brand. I never had an issue with one though not once.

Now on topic, had same thing happen to an 86 k10 305. When we pulled the motor out to put in a 350 we tore the 305 apart and found some bearings messed up and crank messed up. It was scored and scratched up, was supposed to have been rebuilt before we got it, but it was an 85 block in an 86 truck. and NO the fram filter didn't cause it. it was damaged before we got the truck and had a napa filter or something on it.

Ours did the same thing, only knocked in idle in park or whatever, and went away when you started to hit the gas.

There has been studies done, and one even posted on this site, FRAM (Orange filter) was pure ****, while there extended guard is one of the best made.