Pulling to right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Hey guys, could use some help, trying to track down what the problem is. My truck pulls fairly hard to the right, like if I'm at a telephone pole driving down the road halfway before I reached the next one I'd be right in the ditch if I didn't have my hand on the wheel, if that makes any sense.

Things I have done/checked:
2 of 4 tie rod ends are new, other two have no noticeable play.
New idler arm.
Pitman arm doesn't appear to have any play
No play in the steering shaft
New wheel bearing on pass. side, checked other side no play
Brand new brakes and calipers, not sticking, the pulling makes no difference if I'm braking or not.

There is play in the steering box, but would that cause a hard pulling in one direction? Can't think of anything else it could be, unless it's harder than I think to see play in a pitman arm. Even still I wouldn't have thought it would favour one direction, but I don't know much about this stuff.

Any ideas, or is there something stupid I'm missing here? Truck has been aligned not long ago and it did it before and after the alignment. If I could adjust the steering box would that help, or is that even possible on these trucks?

Thanks in advance, and yes tire pressure is good on both sides haha.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has it ever been wrecked? Sounds like it took a hard punch in the Dr side nose to me.

If your alignment is still good an no other parts are worn my next stop would be getting the frame checked.....

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When did you have it aligned? Before or after new parts?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Has it ever been wrecked? Sounds like it took a hard punch in the Dr side nose to me.

If your alignment is still good an no other parts are worn my next stop would be getting the frame checked.....

Hmmmm....never thought of that. To my knowledge, no. It was in a minor accident in 1998 (met the guy who owned it before the guy I bought it from, complete fluke), he said a guy stole it on him one time and busted the grille up but I can't see that hurting the frame if it never hurt the bumper any. However the guy who owned it after could have smashed it up for all I know.

Interesting idea, if the frame is bent then it's staying the way it is, I've driven it like that for over a year (since I bought it) and it isn't unbearable, just annoying. Would be nice to know though so I don't go replacing anything I don't have to.

Thanks a lot man, much appreciated.