Power steering wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 97 k1500 has a wire plugged in to the back of the power steering. I’ve never seen that before. Is it for some kind of idiot light when the fluid gets low?
I need to replace the pump. I have a standard Vortec style pump on hand, but it doesn’t have a provision for a wire.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've never looked to see how many wires, or what color, but if you have the EVO steering, you're going to have a wiring harness going to the pump. Although, I don't believe mine has ever given me any problems, it's known to be a problematic system, and many guys bypass it. GM has a kit (it's on Amazon) to bypass it, but it's pricey. Some new pumps come with it already installed. There's a lot of info on the board about it.

Reaction score
Alrighty. I’ve done a little research.

1. I can get the “C” shaped pipe off Amazon for $61 and use a 96 ps hose with my current pump.

2. Just unplug it. There are differing opinions about whether this is a good idea or not.

3. Try and change the sensor on the steering column. Also a $45 crap shoot

Now, what would happen if I put a 96 pump on the truck? I have one of those on hand and it’s free.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's going to work. I believe the EVO pumps put out a higher pressure, but your pump will be in the middle of the 2 pressures the EVO system operated at. I want to say there was a small valving difference between the 2 boxes, but it will still work.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
EVO pumps don't put out more presuure, but they do boost it at a lower speed. #soccermoms!
These trucks use the same pump pre-EVO.
The only other pump used was for the trucks factory equipped with the quick-ratio S/box. 454SS & the 'Sport' versions.
When swapping to a Q/R box, the matching pump should also be installed. A 'normal' pump can't keep up with the Q/R's needs.

Pump with the EVO.

You must be registered for see images attach

Have to remove the C-clip to get that next piece off.
Under that there's a thin brass nut. Remove that to get the rest of the EVO off.

Be careful when taking the last bit off. Inside there's a puck with a spring behind it. The puck is going to fall out. Before it does, take note of which way is facing out. Around it's perimeter is a ridge that's closer to one face than the other. I don't know if the direction it's facing makes a diff, but just to be safe, make sure to replace it facing the same way.

You can see it behind the hose fitting end.
Which brings up another thing to know. If using wrecker parts, (I did. 5 years later, all's still good.) make sure to get this...

You only need the one hose. The one with the extra 180* bend that gets it to return to the rear of the pump.
When re-installing the pump, loosen the ones on the S/box & don't tighten any of the lines untill the pump's back in & all the hose ends are threaded. It'll make life easier!

This cost less than $10 from the P-n-P.

I did have a code show-up. I've heard of other trucks doing that too.
But...3 years after the fact! Huh? Cleared it & it's never returned. Weird.