posi identifier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If its going to be mostly a offroad toy get an open carrier and weld the spider gears or if you want more road friendly put a lockrite in it. Either way you will be 10x improvement over any stock "locker" you will find at a scrap yard

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
stock gov locks could blow easily giving you an one wheel peel or it could essentially be an open diff.

for offroad go to a 14 sf or ff depending on what lugs you want to run. then either buy a true trac or locker or find an pen diff and weld the spider gears together

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
did i mention that im not looking to do a whole rear end build? all this talk is almost like your suggesting that i buy a 14 bolt and then buy a whole seperate diff setup to put in it, im looking for the best option to get from the local junkyards, i can pull a rear end for like $100, im not looking to spend that much as this will be just a tinker toy so to speak

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
your offroading will be terrible without a posi rear and factory posi units from a junkyaard are sually blown out or cant take that much stress. sometimes you get lucky but in the end you gotta pay to play.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
foudn a guy a couple hours away with a 3.73 posi with around 100,000 on it, if he still has it in a couple weeks im going to make him an offer on it

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Gotta quit using this "posi" terminology. These are not posi's unless someone installed an aftermarket unit, which is unlikely; everyone mistakenly calls the factory locker a posi, a limited slip, a this or that. It's a locker, and it's not that great of one. It's known as the Eaton Gov-Loc and you can find a video on the 'net about how it operates. The RPO code G80 when used in the GMT400 trucks specifically refers to the Eaton Gov-Loc; no other special differentials were used in these trucks, it was either an open diff or it was a Gov-Loc. Just FYI

Richard