Please Help!! 1999 Yukon OBS Surging when idling.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of surprised there isn't a sticky for idle issues. Something like...
1. Verify no DTCs, fuel pressure, coolant level, strong battery (capacity ck), clean air filter, Ohms check ignition coil, ign source voltage & ground (zero resistance)
2.Verify plugs - AC IRIDIUM*; wires - Delco - OE*, cap & rotor - Delco*
*=recommended for reliability

Panner99

Reaction score
Kind of surprised there isn't a sticky for idle issues. Something like...
1. Verify no DTCs, fuel pressure, coolant level, strong battery (capacity ck), clean air filter, Ohms check ignition coil, ign source voltage & ground (zero resistance)

Even searching I'm finding all different answers. On a good note you guys have all been a great help. Much appreciated. Ive posted these issues on other forums and not one person has answered.

I got my Dist cap today so going to put it on this weekend and see.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very curious about the results of your cap replacement. I take great pride in keeping my truck running smooth. I changed the cap 30k ago and I'm experiencing an intermittent miss that isn't bad enough to spend money on. My truck has only 75,000 miles. I think I need to ohm out the coil just for peace of mind.

Panner99

Reaction score
I changed the cap saturday night. No difference. Still idles rough with the odd surge sometimes. Drives perfect though. Problem is ONLY at idle. I ordered wires and coil from rock auto. We will see what that does when they come in.

Panner99

Reaction score
I will have to try that. I sprayed carb cleaner and couldnt find anything. It was the first think I did.

Panner99

Reaction score
I'm still at a loss. Its been cooler out so the idle has been a bit rough still. But yesterday it was hot out 88 deg F out. And the surging at idle was happening a lot.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have access to a scanner? My harbor freight $50 scanner provides real time monitoring. Its good to verify outside and intake air temps. Coolant temps, short & long term fuel trims.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score

I found out many years ago that GM engine management systems are very picky about their spark plugs. Long story short: Non GM plugs in your vehicle is very well known to cause idling problems. Be sure to use only the correct or GM recommended spark plug upgrade for your vehicle.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, very suceptable to pinging. (Pre-detionation) I had the original factory plugs in my truck, and it ping'd depending on outside temp. After a lot of research I went to the iridium OE equivilant delco plugs, blackbear tune optimized for premium fuel and have not had a problem since.