Planning/Ideas/Opinions: new cat and possibly muffler. 1995 7.4L k2500 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
So, I'm not necessarily 'in need of' a new cat and muffler due to diagnosing an issue. That said, they are the OEM units with 30 years and nearly 250k miles racked up. I'd like to put some more free flowing exhaust on the suburban and see if I can gain a little bit of seat dyno power and maybe improve mileage by 0.25mpg in doing so.

I've never gotten into custom exhaust beyond paying a shop to put basic duals on so I'm seeking some help here. Would rather keep it a simple single tailpipe system reusing the OE pipe where possible. Currently I'm eyeing the cat below, no need for CA CARB compliance but a cat is staying on the truck, no need for debate on cat vs no cat.

Cat:
www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-2010025/make/chevrolet/model/k2500-suburban/year/1995

Muffler:
I don't have a muffler in mind here but do have some desires. Mainly, not 'loud' but I would like some tone. In the past I've had a set of xlerators on a vortec 350 and was satisfied with them.

Thanks for input guys and gals. Let's leave the cat vs no cat debate at the door as I'll be keeping a cat in place.

Edit: existing pipes are 3".

Last edited:

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m going to try this 3.5” by flowmaster as I’ve always used f Magnaflow so I wanted to do something different.

Attachments

• IMG_5273.jpeg
    IMG_5273.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5272.jpeg
    IMG_5272.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5275.jpeg
    IMG_5275.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 2

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Magnaflow muffler, single 3.5” would be my vote.
Suppose I should put the calipers on the pipe and see what size I'm working with to start. Are magnaflow mufflers one of those that turn off raspy and popping when you make a WOT pull after they've gotten some miles on them?