Parking lights come on ONLY in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dans94Chevy

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Z71 I disabled the DRL's but pulling the #15 fuse and taking the black box under the dash out. So they don't work. But I noticed when I got home today (it was dark) I turned off my headlights and had to back up and my dash lights came on looked outside and parking lights were on. So I put it back in drive they go off, Park same off, back to reverse came on... any ideas?? Oh and BTW when I have the reverse bulbs in and I turn on the headlights/parking lights the reverse lights on come too. no matter which gear I'm in. Thanks for any help.:headbang:

heavychevy98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like you got the reverse lights in the parking light socket in the light housing and vice versa

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the wiring at the back of the truck for the trailer harness is shorting together. Or you have a bad board on one of your tail light housings.

sounds like you got the reverse lights in the parking light socket in the light housing and vice versa

It's physically not possible to put the reverse lights or parking lights anywhere other than where they are supposed to be on these trucks.

Dans94Chevy

Reaction score
1997chevydriver thanks I will check that put. It never really crossed my mind to check that. I also thought it was just a bad circuit on the tail lights. Right now I have no reverse lights because I don't wanna chance a ticket with driving with my reverse lights on whenever my headlights are on. So no one knows when Im backing up out of a parking spot which gets really annoying.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Check grounds.. especially @ the trailer harness. I'd put my stick shift in reverse and the door buzzer would go off, dash lights would come on, blinkers would fast-blink. thing lit up like a Christmas tree.

One ground was all it was :x

I didn't have tail lights nor reverse lights at time.

Dans94Chevy

Reaction score
First off let me thank everyone that helped. the PO of the truck wired the reverse lights into the parking lights.. some people lol. My old man and I were under the truck today and he noticed mine has the towing package with electric brakes. We saw the blue and orange wires hanging in the back (not hooked up) so after some researching I found out I need to look under the brake booster for the wires up from but was extremely busy today so has to be other day. I also have the 7 pin hook up so that's another thing on the list to wire up.