overhead console in standard cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plouth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Questions folks.
I just bought an overhead console out of a Tahoe and I want to install in my 97 standard cab. Wondering if anyone can upload a picture of their standard cab without the headliner. Don't want to take one down, but would like to know what I'm drilling into. Any info on the steps would be greatly appreciated!

Gonzo406

Reaction score
Questions folks.
I just bought an overhead console out of a Tahoe and I want to install in my 97 standard cab. Wondering if anyone can upload a picture of their standard cab without the headliner. Don't want to take one down, but would like to know what I'm drilling into. Any info on the steps would be greatly appreciated!
I'm sure someone will chime in with a picture of a stripped roof panel or maybe you can go to a junkyard. There is usually a few gmt's with no roof panels but I don't really see a need to. I used a small bit to make a pilot hole. Wrap the drill bit in masking tape and use It as a guide for your screw just remember to use VERY light pressure so you don't put a dent in the outer skin. The screw was about 1/4" long if I remember correctly Turned out great
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

plouth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure someone will chime in with a picture of a stripped roof panel or maybe you can go to a junkyard. There is usually a few gmt's with no roof panels but I don't really see a need to. I used a small bit to make a pilot hole. Wrap the drill bit in masking tape and use It as a guide for your screw just remember to use VERY light pressure so you don't put a dent in the outer skin. The screw was about 1/4" long if I remember correctly Turned out great

so did you break off the tabs in the back of the console and just sheet metal screw into the roof? Trying to figure out if there are tab holes in the standard cab roof like a tahoe or sub.
Reason I asked for the pictures is I just wondered in the inner panel is the entire roof or just the center.

thanks

Gonzo406

Reaction score
thanks looked all over there and could not find the standard cab info I was looking for.
Standard cabs dont have the rear slots, I just cut the tabs off with a dremel. I'll snap a picture of how I mounted mine in the morning

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also added one of these to my standard cab, just marked where the tabs hit the roof lining then cut out a little bit of the headliner, then used a sharp chisel to cut in two slots for the tabs to slide in to. Then drilled a small hole where the front lined up once the rear tabs were in. There's a photo on my build but much the same as the one above.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks looked all over there and could not find the standard cab info I was looking for.
I was referring to the post early on where it tells that there are no rear slots on a standard cab and some guy just attached the rear of the console with sheet metal screws. I think that cutting the slot might be a bit more elegant but either way has been proven to work. I will need to deal with one of the world's ugliest headliners before I can install my console so I am not there yet. Please post how yours comes out and add some pictures to the thread.

Edit .. that is post # 2 in the thread where it refers to the sheet metal screws to hold the console to the roof. Good luck !

Seth GMC

Reaction score
Adding an overhead console was relatively easy. I went a bit further and added LED's to the backside of the one I installed along with resisters and a relay to dim the LED's when the headlights tuned on.