Ok nv4500 users.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Buddy just picked up an 04 2500hd Silverado ecsb 6.0 nv4500. Rare truck. 6 hour drive to find the beast. 7 inch dual shock lift on 35s. I know its not a 400 but the nv4500 should be the same or very similar and he's looking to put a temp probe in. Question is... Is there a spot in the case? Or is it gonna be a drill and tap the pan? Thanks ahead of time!

sent from a likely flagged smartphone.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not an NV4500 user nor do I know if they have a factory port... If it has a cooler you can put the sensor inline on the hot side to the cooler, any industrial supplier should have fittings to make it work. I kinda doubt it has a cooler though...

Last edited:

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Drill and Tap into a pto cover.

Beat me to it!!
The cover is awful thin, I don't think you'd be able to tap it. I've seen guys on dieselbombers weld a nut on there and thread a sensor in... Unless he's hauling some wicked loads up steep grades, I don't think it's too necessary on that truck... From what I've read, even diesel guys don't get them too crazy hot under nasty loads. If he's that worried about overheating it, I'd start with a cooler and just tie the sensor in with that.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Temp sensor on a standard??? Check the oil, call it a day. There should be no need for it. It should be impossible to get it hot enough to damage it.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Ok well looks like that is settled lol. Why don't they heat up as much? I'm not a trans guy so I have no clue.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
They don't work the same way. The torque converter makes most of the heat in an auto. This and the clutches engaging. Manuals don't have a torque converter, and the clutch is external to the trans, so its heat is not transfered to the oil. Nothing in a manual trans except bearings and gears.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Thanks guys! That was quick