Oil pump problem and vanishing oil HELP???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KrpticKyler

Reaction score
I recently just got back from a camping trip and on the freeway on the way home i lost a slight bit of power and then BAM i could hear all my oil lifters clicking away i pulled off the rest area immediately, and my oil pressure guage was bouncing from 30psi-50psi, ive had issues with the gauge sender and replaced it a week or two ago and the gauge was working great, i checked the oil and it was way low. i added 3 quarts and let the truck idle for a few and the lifter sounds went away so we limped it back home, but my oil pressure gauge was still all over the place and every time it dipped down below 40psi my lifters would click away, could this mean my oil pump is about to die?? and question number 2, i have no leaks on the ground where ever i park, my truck doesnt burn oil, and ive had to add about 1-3 quarts of oil every week, where could my oil possibly be vanishing too? could it be my main rear seal?? :Frustrated:

PLEASE HELP

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you don't see any leaks on the ground, that kind of rules out the rear main. At least in my opinion. You say it's not burning it off either, so no bluish white smoke then. The only other thing I can think of is an oil cooler. If your truck is equipped with the cooler from the factory, it should be part of the radiator. Check your water. If there is oil in the water, but not water in the oil, I would bet you would need a new radiator. I'm not that familiar with the differences between my 98 and your 95 though, so I could be completely off.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't imagine losing that much oil and not seeing it somwhere. Even if it was mixing with coolant, at 3 quarts a week your system would over flow pretty quick. You've got to be burning it. Lifters shouldn't be making noise with 40 psi of oil pressure. Sounds like your engine is on its way out. You might put a manual guage on to verify you have oil pressure.

KrpticKyler

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's not mixing with my coolant at all, I just flushed my coolant and it was all green, I do have a blackish soot stain on my bumper by my tail pipe but not two severe, and it's not blowing any sort of smoke at all

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take a video n pics maybe someone will spit something familiar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk