Oil pressure high?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therealmike

Reaction score
So I have 1997 Chevy Silverado k1500 5.7L it use to run 35 psi idle and 45 when driving after I changed the oil to 10w30 and new oil filter all of a sudden it runs at 70psi and when accelerating it goes to 75 psi is this safe?

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
If it stays 70psi at a hot idle, I'd suspect something is causing a blockage upstream from the pump.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I suppose. Blockage downstream would be low oil pressure, either way thats bad news

Dan_Frisbie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if something was blocked, I doubt that you would see any measurable increase. New, different oil and filter can account for some rise, but with the extreme change that you're seeing, I suspect a bad sending unit or gauge.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Did you do the last oil change?

If not, I know there is some talk in certain areas about 0w-20 giving better gas mileage (I would never do that!). Maybe the previous owner threw that in last time? Or it was so old and deteriorated that it lost some viscosity?

swervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive been having similar problems aswell. Im assuming you checked the oil level? (Didnt over fill)