oil pressure dropping at idol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I had a chevy truck that had 300k miles, it ran about 5 psi at idle and maybe 15 psi rev'd up, it was worn slap out but it still ran.

Hey, did you ever notice any light lifter noise when you were really warmed up sitting at a red light? Not a constant sound, but more of a random chitter-chatter here and there.

brownbear

Reaction score
hey gus seems like a dumb question but where is my pressure sensor cause i got a 94 an it s not right on top of my oil filter can someone please help me out by taking a pic or explaining it to mee..

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On a 94 your oil pressure sending unit is underneath the distributor, it is possible to change it without pulling the distributor but it's not easy. Sorry I don't have a pic.

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it's important to use a good filter like WIX and then check the sender to make sure it's good.

DieselPower

Reaction score
You guys also need to remember that the gauges that GM used are the cheapest mass produced crap that they could find at the time. The fact that the needle moves shows that you have oil pressure - but the gauge itself is not much better than an idiot light. If you really want to get a calibrated gauge that indicates something other than "On/Off", you'll want an aftermarket oil pressure gauge.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys you can get a tee fitting and still have your factory gauge and direct oil pressure gauge I have done it before just leave enough plastic line when putting one on because remember the engine does move some. Look at my trucks pressure at 1:30 it's still the same at 181K now. Some people go to putting on high volume oil pumps but when you do that you need a bigger oil pan or the oil will run to hot.
http://youtu.be/QjD8OsBtkXQ

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Def check that gauge too. Over time I'm sure it gets faulty.

Mine has 170k and I'm reading 20psi at idle, full op temp.