Odd pop......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whipped96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck specs:
1996 C/1500
Vortec 305
0411 Swap
Whipple
Marine intake
60lb injectors
255lph fuel pump
EGR delete
Plugs gapped to 0.035

Took the truck in to get tuned a couple months ago before the marine intake and 60lb injectors and it ran great till it ran out of fuel in the upper RPM's.

Installed the marine intake and 60lb injectors and took it back for a retune. Tuner is using HPTUNERS and was able to set the cam offset to 0.2°. Problem is that now the truck has an odd pop through the exhaust at idle. Pulled the plugs after he got the A/F correct and they looked terrible from running so rich so I swapped then out, still popping. Swapped cap and rotor for new, still popping. It is not showing any misfires and not throwing any codes. It seems to start happening after the truck warms up and it is not consistent. It may do it after 5 minutes then wait a minute then 30 seconds but seems to happen more as it warms up. I smoked tested for vacuum leaks before taking it and all is good.

Kinda has me stumped, anyone have any ideas????

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Sounds like an ignition problem. Any burnt plug wires or fouled plugs?

-via Mobile

Whipped96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure, Could you have possibly gone too lean and burnt a valve?
It was running rich after the new injectors and was never driven after we found out the old ones were to small.
Sounds like an ignition problem. Any burnt plug wires or fouled plugs?

-via Mobile
Plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are all new. we changed them trying to diagnose the pop.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Does it do it in park too? Or just under load?

-via Mobile

Whipped96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In park, haven't put it under a load yet. When reved a little it does the same thing.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Did the tuner guy adjust the fuel and spark tables for Idle in park/nuetral?