OBS Steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay first off, I'm not sure where this post belongs, so I just picked the best place I thought it might fit, mods go ahead and move it if necessary.

This post is partly to vent, and more so to try and learn some alternate options for steering columns in the OBS. This weekend I tackled replacing the ignition lock cylinder and turn-signal/wiper/cruise combo stalk on the column. I want to say that whatever team of engineers were responsible for the design and construction of the steering column in the OBS need to have their ***** kicked, repeatedly. I know that if I had prior experience in working on late model steering columns, this would have been easier, but you gotta learn somewhere right? Everything about the OBS steering column in my '90 is bullshit, completely over-engineered garbage. There is absolutely no reason to have the obscenity that is the OBS steering column in an otherwise great truck. I can only imagine that the columns in the 95-up dash are worse, though I don't know. There's just too much stuff going on, too much plastic and, Ughhhh, never mind. :uhoh2:

So what I really would like to know, any of you guys out there that have torn down an OBS completely for a resto-job or custom or anything of the sort, what, if any, is a better alternative for a steering column??? I want something that is blood simple, functional, and easy to work on when necessary. I'm thinking it would be aftermarket of course but maybe not?? I think I'm finally getting it back together and it hopefully will work for me for a while, but if I ever happen to get another vehicle for a daily driver, which i plan on doing, the I will want to blow my OBS completely apart and do away with the over-engineered madness that is present in the steering column for example. The stock OBS column is great when it works, but when you have to work on it, it shouldn't be that much of a pain in the ass to turn wrenches/screwdrivers on.. What are some other options for steering columns, and what are you guys running that have taken your OBS completely apart for project-builds and the like????

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
IMO, the GMT400 steering column is quite simple. They are based off the same basic design GM used in 1973, but obviously in the 80s it became slightly more cramped with the addition of the wipers and headlight dimmer in the column as opposed to the dash & floor.

I can however tell you that 95+ columns are easier to take apart, as they are much larger. They are still equally complex, and have more additions to them since they have airbags.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ididit columns are simple as hell, so kudos to mike for bringing that one in

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off thanks for the replies you-all, these posts have got me thinkin'.

Well the OBS steering column sure isn't rocket science, but in comparison to the steering column in my 62 Nova project, or the '40 ford steering column in the '32 roadster built by me and my dad, it IS complex. The OBS steering column reminds me of a chinese puzzle or something. After 20 years of daily driver service and 1 million miles on the chassis (and column) of my truck, most of the plastic used in the column for the various moving parts has started to fail. (It probably doesn't help that some of the OEM parts of the column are made in taiwan, malaysia, etc.) And really I still say it was over-engineered cheesy crap even for the time and considering that they also had to incorporate the wiper/dimmer switches into it. For example, the threaded hole for the retaining screw for the ignition lock cylinder has begun to strip out, b/c 1.) it's plastic and much weaker than metal or even wood for that matter. and 2.) the screw has hardly any thread engagement at all, putting all the load on just a few threads when the screw is installed.

I was thinking an aftermarket column would be the ticket, ididit columns are supposed to be good from what I've read and heard. A simple column like say, an ididit, along with a homebuilt custom dash that drops out in minutes with a few dzus fasteners or something would be nice. Then I could relocate the wiper switch to the dash and move the dimmer switch to the floor. That is a potential solution maybe. I'm just old school I guess.

Last edited:

jrp12357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i will be learning for first time soon how to do it all. i need to replace the key tumbler thing, turn signal switch that has wipers, cruise and blinker. also need a new shifter lever but hey atleast my hazards work.

90'rado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't hesitate to ask questions, I should be able to help out since I recently tackled replacing all that junk myself. I've even got a few pics, though I'm not sure how helpful they would be.

jrp12357

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok well the time has come and im looking to tackle my steering column in next few days. im looking to replace my turn signal lever, has a new wire i have to snake down column and i need to replace my ignition lock as well as tighten the shifter lever. any pointers and tips apprectiated. thanks guys.