Obd2 link error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Does that code reader work on any other vehicles?
2. You have power at the OBD2 connector on the vehicle. Do you have a working ground pin there? Missing/broken ground straps in the engine compartment are unlikely to cause the code reader to not connect to the computer.
3. Despite saying "Scan Tool" on the front, that's NOT a real scan tool. It's a code-reader with very limited functionality.
4. Just because the "Check Engine" light is on, does not mean the computer can't be faulty.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Really. Ok. I took it to auto zone for there scan test still wouldnt connect. Idk truck dosent run bad even if i unhook say egr dosent effect it o2 dosent effect it i drove the truck 2 months not knowing the o2 sensor was unhooked until i tried to fix my exaust.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to verify ground at the vehicle's connector.

You need to verify the wires between the connector and the computer aren't broken, cut, grounded, etc.

One way or another, you need to get communication between a scan tool and your truck's computer. And then be prepared for a heap of codes, and goofy sensor readings.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Ok so fixed all grounds verified power and ground has both just won't connect. I haven't got into tracing wires. If some one has a diagram I would appreciate it. And can I splice in a new port near the ecm. Bypassing all wires through the firewall.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe there are wiring diagrams in this thread.

Don’t you have another GMT400 that’s OBD2? Your dads or something? Does the scanner work on his? I’ve never had luck with the cheap scanners.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
I believe there are wiring diagrams in this thread.

Don’t you have another GMT400 that’s OBD2? Your dads or something? Does the scanner work on his? I’ve never had luck with the cheap scanners
No my Dada is 95 old 1. But we hooked up a good scanner and it still didn't link.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
In your first post you said you were trying to connect to an OBDII system,now you're saying OBDI,which is it?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score