O2 sensor on mid length headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dh1989

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience running the stock 1 wire O2 sensor on direct fit, mid length headers? I have a hole in my cat and rotted headers, so I am replacing the stock manifolds with JBA 1830S headers and cat with a Magnaflow 23256. I saw that long tube headers or relocating the sensor further downstream require a heated sensor to stay in closed loop, but would the stock location for the sensor be fine with a 1 wire on these shorter headers?

Thanks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1988 K1500 5.7L

I've had a stock 1-wire O2 sensor on my Edelbrock Tubular Exhaust System (TES) "shorty headers" for twenty years. (Three or four sensors, it's not like one sensor lasted that long.)

The truck drops out of closed-loop at idle. Back into closed loop before I'm across the intersection after the light turns green. There's zero driveablilty issues with this. I wouldn't know if I didn't have the scan tool connected.

I'm told that a heated O2 will stay in closed-loop at idle. I bought the parts, but haven't installed them yet.