NV3500 to 700r4 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lewis1129

Reaction score
I have a 91 scsb that currently is 350/nv3500. What all would I need to do this swap. I’m trying to just find a donor truck to do it that way. Would the computer need to be messed with?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would the computer need to be messed with?
If you want the Torque Converter to lock up, yes. You'll need a BCC (EPROM chip) for the same engine and rear end gears then, you may need to find/install the TCC wire/harness to hook it up.

Lewis1129

Reaction score
But if I don’t care about the lock up then I wouldn’t have to do anything with it. Honestly the tbi is temporary. Once I get the transmission swapped it will become more of a street/strip type of build.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once I get the transmission swapped it will become more of a street/strip type of build.
A street/strip build with a 700R4? Are you gonna have it "built" to handle that power? They're known to be weak when you start throwing much more than stock torque at them. Ask me how I know.:biggrin:

Lewis1129

Reaction score
I’ve got a turbo 400 that I could put in it, but with the 4.10 gear I already have I don’t want that. When I say street strip I mean 90% street, 10% for run Footbrake class at the local drag strip.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I say street strip I mean 90% street, 10% for run Footbrake class at the local drag strip.
Then your 700r4 will only break 10% of the time, JK! :Big Laugh: Seriously though, when I bought my truck back in 2002 it was from the manager in a transmission shop. He told me he put in a shift kit and a corvette servo. It ran nice with firm shifts on my Mr Goodwrench 5.7L for 14 years. Then I did some stuff since it was over heating and had blown head gaskets. After I got it back up running, the trans took a puke in a couple weeks. We dropped the valve body and found the TV was stuck and check ball slots in the separator plate were deformed. We got a kit for the TV that was supposed to eliminate sticking and replaced a missing check ball. Put it back together and it lasted maybe 2 more weeks before it died again (both probably from clutch material floating around). Now I have a stage 2 rated 600HP from Trans Depot Inc (big mistake) which I'm not happy with but, it's still going. Next time it'll be a 4L80E with a separate controller since I have an EBL Flash-II running my engine. BTW, I'm running 4.11s too.
YMMV :cheers:

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Obviously you will need to swap the steering column and the brake pedal. The clutch switch wiring will need to be either rewired or replace the dash harness with the appropriate automatic version. The computer chip will either need to be swapped or reprogrammed, there's more than just TCC stuff there.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then your 700r4 will only break 10% of the time, JK! :Big Laugh: Seriously though, when I bought my truck back in 2002 it was from the manager in a transmission shop. He told me he put in a shift kit and a corvette servo. It ran nice with firm shifts on my Mr Goodwrench 5.7L for 14 years. Then I did some stuff since it was over heating and had blown head gaskets. After I got it back up running, the trans took a puke in a couple weeks. We dropped the valve body and found the TV was stuck and check ball slots in the separator plate were deformed. We got a kit for the TV that was supposed to eliminate sticking and replaced a missing check ball. Put it back together and it lasted maybe 2 more weeks before it died again (both probably from clutch material floating around). Now I have a stage 2 rated 600HP from Trans Depot Inc (big mistake) which I'm not happy with but, it's still going. Next time it'll be a 4L80E with a separate controller since I have an EBL Flash-II running my engine. BTW, I'm running 4.11s too.
YMMV :cheers:
Ya know Pete I keep hearing about the 700R4 being a weakling, especially with a little power upgrade but I seem to read about the other transmissions blowing up more than the 700 ??
Mine as you may or not know was beefed up with Corvette servos & bands, shafts and stuff I dont know about thou. Ive had the truck for over 3 years now and no problems, of course I do drive like granpa moses I admit but it shifts quite firmly and performs great, SO FAR lol
Bobby

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine as you may or not know was beefed up with Corvette servos & bands, shafts and stuff I dont know about thou. Ive had the truck for over 3 years now and no problems,
Yeah, I remember yours. I drove mine for years with some upgrades in it. Then, after I added some go fast parts to my engine, it blew out twice. I don't think that's a coincidence but, I may be wrong. The one I have now has all this stuff listed from Transmission Depot (that's another story), $2300 shipped to my door. I hope both of ours hold up forever - I'm just a little skeptical based on my personal experience along with others here. Good luck bud! :waytogo:

700R4 "The Nemesis" Stage 2 600HP (7004-R 700R-4 TH700 4L60)
Free High Performance Torque Converter 2300-2500 Stall
Heavy Duty HIGH ENERGY Z Pack Clutch Set
Remanufactured Pump Assembly Which Includes 10 Vane Rotor Set, Teflon Bushing, Hardened Rings, 500 Boost Valve and All Recommended Updates
Transgo Stage 2 Shift Kit
Heavy Duty "Upgraded" Sun Shell
29 Element Sprag (Heavy Duty) with Double Cage
HD Kevlar Performance Band
Bushing Kit (OEM Specs)
Hi Performance Corvette Servo
Heavy Duty 5 Pinion Rear Planetary