No signal from ECM to fuel pump relay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did it run when you got it with the gauges the way they are? I can't remember from your build thread. If my memory is right, the PCM only sends a short 12v+ signal to the fuel pump for priming purposes. Once the fuel system is primed and you start the engine the oil pressure switch/sensor maintains the voltage to the fuel pump. I installed a 91 454 and TBI assembly into an 85 C10 a couple years ago, and I had a similar problem until I realized what it was.

https://www.obd-codes.com/faq/gm-aldl-connector.gif

In that picture Pin G is for the fuel pump and if you provide 12v+ power to it you should get fuel pressure.

If you know what model ECM you have I can get you the pinout diagrams for it so you can trace it back in case you do have a bad PCM. I don't think you do from your description, but it doesn't hurt to check.

There used to be a webpage that had specs for common oil pressure sending units, if you find the right one you can run the switch and the gauge from the same sending unit. It's how I got the 91 engine to run the 85 gauge and the switch with one sensor, because the 91 gauge has a different resistance sweep. I can link a catalog that might help, but it is needs conversions to make it PSI

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
Did it run when you got it with the gauges the way they are? I can't remember from your build thread. If my memory is right, the PCM only sends a short 12v+ signal to the fuel pump for priming purposes. Once the fuel system is primed and you start the engine the oil pressure switch/sensor maintains the voltage to the fuel pump. I installed a 91 454 and TBI assembly into an 85 C10 a couple years ago, and I had a similar problem until I realized what it was.

https://www.obd-codes.com/faq/gm-aldl-connector.gif

In that picture Pin G is for the fuel pump and if you provide 12v+ power to it you should get fuel pressure.

If you know what model ECM you have I can get you the pinout diagrams for it so you can trace it back in case you do have a bad PCM. I don't think you do from your description, but it doesn't hurt to check.

There used to be a webpage that had specs for common oil pressure sending units, if you find the right one you can run the switch and the gauge from the same sending unit. It's how I got the 91 engine to run the 85 gauge and the switch with one sensor, because the 91 gauge has a different resistance sweep. I can link a catalog that might help, but it is needs conversions to make it PSI

ECM

Serv. No. 1227747 ARJT

86ARJT K103330724

16136291 ARJT

Thanks for the help.

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
Are you sure you don't have the fuel pump oil pressure switch? It's a 2 wire switch (not a sensor) on the back of the engine near the distributor.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I havent seen it.