No Reverse lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyrodder

Reaction score
95 1500 5.7 Auto 2wd. 2 parts stores tell me this is the correct back up switch. I don't see where it goes. Help please

Attachments

• 379462_187561401387517_664679904_n.jpg
    379462_187561401387517_664679904_n.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 169

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Jiggle the shifter a bit. On mine, the shifter has to be as far as it can go upwards (while still locked in reverse) for the reverse lights to come on. I can almost guarantee yours will do the same. Also, the pictures you posted of the side of the transmission is the speedometer gear. Not the reverse light switch. That is inside the steering column.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is two or three wires coming off the reverse light switch on the steering column. The switch is further down the column (toward firewall), locate the green wire of the 2 or 3 that runs from the switch up the column. Then take your multimeter (a test light will work too), and set the parking brake and then shift the truck into reverse. When the truck is in reverse, the green wire should show ~12V+. If the fuse is good, and that wire shows 12V+ then your problem is after the switch (Bad ground, short, broken wire, etc).

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
There is two or three wires coming off the reverse light switch on the steering column. The switch is further down the column (toward firewall), locate the green wire of the 2 or 3 that runs from the switch up the column. Then take your multimeter (a test light will work too), and set the parking brake and then shift the truck into reverse. When the truck is in reverse, the green wire should show ~12V+. If the fuse is good, and that wire shows 12V+ then your problem is after the switch (Bad ground, short, broken wire, etc).

If it was a bad ground between the switch and lights, the whole ass end of the truck would be going haywire. No lights at all. Trust me, it's happened to me twice.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it was a bad ground between the switch and lights, the whole ass end of the truck would be going haywire. No lights at all. Trust me, it's happened to me twice.

Not all the time, a bad ground can cause all sorts of symptoms! From just dimming lights, to malfunctioning lights, to no lights, to only one working, etc etc. A bad ground can raise havoc with a lot of things. A broken wire is a very good posibility or the switch itself could very well be failing. I just outlined how to test it to see if it's putting out voltage or not @ the switch!

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Not all the time, a bad ground can cause all sorts of symptoms! From just dimming lights, to malfunctioning lights, to no lights, to only one working, etc etc. A bad ground can raise havoc with a lot of things. A broken wire is a very good posibility or the switch itself could very well be failing. I just outlined how to test it to see if it's putting out voltage or not @ the switch!

Very good point, rep'd for the instructions! OP, listen to this guy, he knows his stuff when it comes to electronics and wiring.

EDIT: Won't let me add rep -___-

skyrodder

Reaction score
OK so I didnt know there was a connection point under the bed by the rear bumper/ spare tire area, the connection was corroded, I cleaned it up as best i could and reconnected and they work, gonna replace that connection. Thanks guys

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jiggle the shifter a bit. On mine, the shifter has to be as far as it can go upwards (while still locked in reverse) for the reverse lights to come on. I can almost guarantee yours will do the same. Also, the pictures you posted of the side of the transmission is the speedometer gear. Not the reverse light switch. That is inside the steering column.

Mine is the same way? Why is that?

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 98 auto 4x4 the switch under the dash with the green wire is NOT for the backup lights. Instead, the neutral safety switch/backup light switch is on the drivers side of the transmission, near the driveshaft. In any case for me the problem was in the tee connection to the trailer wiring. It was loose and would not tighten, so I clamped it together with a zip tie.