No power to starter solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just picked up a 91 extended cab. To start you had to turn the key several times before it'd finally engaged the starter. Now it won't do anything. I can take a jumper wire and connect the solenoid wire to the battery (with key turned on) and it'll fire right up.
I know it's probably something dumb, but I've got no clue.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure the connection at the starter is clean otherwise it could be the ignition switch. Or even the adjustment of the ignition switch.

Reaction score
I'll try tonight. The shifter indicator is off some, read online the ignition switch being misaligned will cause that.
I'm expecting it is the switch. Previous owner put a new cylinder in, but lost the key to it. So pretty sure he thought the switch was the cylinder.
Hope it's not a huge pain in the buttocks

Reaction score
Finally got a minute to mess with it. Swapped the ignition switch out and now fires right up!
So now is the really fun part, replacing head gaskets.. Lol
Haven't run it long enough to overheat, but radiator is building up air pressure before the water even gets warm. Fun stuff