No brake lights when engine running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mockspeed88

Reaction score
So when I hit the brakes with the key off the hvac control comes on. The brakes go off momentarily then they if I hit the brakes again they light up

Last edited:

mockspeed88

Reaction score

So I found this. My wipers do not work either and I just did the trans. I will check this ground in the morning when it is light out. Fingers crossed

mockspeed88

Reaction score
Fixed! Was the ground on the back of the pass cylinder head. It runs from the brake relay on the firewall to the wiper motor to a stud that is on the pass cylinder head. I now have brake lights and wipers! Thank you all for your assistance in helping me trouble shoot this

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Fixed! Was the ground on the back of the pass cylinder head. It runs from the brake relay on the firewall to the wiper motor to a stud that is on the pass cylinder head. I now have brake lights and wipers! Thank you all for your assistance in helping me trouble shoot this
Glad you figured it out, and thanks for letting us know what it was. Someone else may need this information at some point; electrical problems happen to all old trucks eventually.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Almost always when it is something both electrical and strange (like the AC control lights coming on ) it is going to turn out to be a ground somewhere. Congrats on tracking it down and let me repeat the previous thanks for coming back to the thread with the answer. It will happen again and a link to this one goes in my infamous truck file.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The advantage to having " ganged up " grounds are effeciancy in assembly and diagnostics. The disadvantage is if one or more of the " ganged up " circuits isnt finding body, frame, battery ground it will look for another route not intended, with unknown results.