NEWB! help finishing 4l80e swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teal97k1500

Reaction score
first of all, hey all here at gmt400! got a good recomendation to come here from one of your fellow members

ok so anyway let me get started, its a

1997 K1500 ext cab short bed
350 vortec
4l80e (swap half done when purchased)
stock 10 bolt rear but both have new caries with clutch style posi, rear has strange axles

ok so when i bought it i was told "yea it runs drives shouldnt give you any issues" 2 days later i lost 3rd 4th and reverse, from what iv read its toast, iv also read staying with the 4l80e would be better then going back to the 4l60e

the trans is in the truck with a manual t case(linkage not hooked up and front shaft out) i was told its the original wire harness, i can NOT see where it was modified, on the drivers side of the trans i believe what im looking at is the ISS and the rear VSS, same looking sensors, the front one has a plug in it, rear one no plug to put in it....

the ecu was tuned for the 80e so i was told

not really sure where im going with this but i dont know much about the computer aspect and how it should be wired.... as i didnt start the swap i bought it half way completed, any help is apreciated i would like to stay 4l80e but im unsure on what needs to be done for it to work RIGHT(other then having it rebuilt)

Teal97k1500

Reaction score
also it has a 6" rcx rough country lift on 38s (looking to get 35s and sell the 38s but ill do that in the classified later)

Teal97k1500

Reaction score
if just going back to stock is easier i have the original 4l60e and electric t case,

this truck isnt seeing off road use so im not TOO worried about strenght, but it will see a small car trailer with my camaro on it from time to time, and a set of 35s the 38s must go

Teal97k1500

Reaction score
maybe what i should be asking is if there is a how to thread on the 4l80e conversion beside the article on it